Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #1 
WhiskeyHands

Question No hood!

Im getting a 5 gallon tank to house my betta but it has no hood! Should i put less water or do i really need to find something to cover it?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 
SQUIRT1216

You could use saran wrap. And yes, you should cover it because betta could jump up to 2-3 inches. better save than sorry
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #3 
callistra

Saran wrap works but make sure to leave a little strip/area some where that air can get in so they can breathe.

If it's a standard rectangular 5 gallon you can buy a glass top for cheap at petco, petsmart, or pretty much anywhere. http://www.petco.com/product/107312/...ium-Cover.aspx
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #4 
SolomonFinch

I dont know how well saran wrap would hold up stretched over 5 heated gallons.....no sure it would even adhere to the aquarium sides. Even if it did work.....burning Saran Wrap , like Teflon, releases fumes. Not that yours would be burning, but it would be heating up...and I am pretty sure heated plastic, BPA free or not, isnt good for any living creature.
It may sound odd, but as a temp solution maybe you could take a broiler pan, one of the 2 parters that you bake on, and place the perforated plate over top of the tank. May not be pretty, but it would be secure and provide air.
Just a thought.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
SolomonFinch

Or even a mesh splatter guard like for sauce pans. They come in various sizes and can be found at the Dollar Tree
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #6 
SQUIRT1216

But you put saran wrap in the microwave so shouldn't it work? I never tried it myself. But i don't think a heater would crate that much heat for the saran to burn. As the other member said, leave some air so their would be no accumulated "fume"
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 
Kwomais

I have a little bowl and I use the toe cut off of a pair of fishnet tights leftover from Halloween to cover it. Maybe you could cut a section of the thigh of a pair of large women's tights/fishnets & then cut a slit so that it is a rectangle and then just tape it/adhere it in place? then you get the safety of a lid, but still have free air circulation AND you can feed through it (well, if you use fishnets like I did you can).
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Covers for a standard sized five gallon are pretty cheap and easy to find. Also, many members here use Saran Wrap to lock in moisture and humidity for sick fish to help the labyrinth organ and have never had an issue, but personally I wouldn't look at Saran Wrap as a permanent solution..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

well fine, i think i'll go look if they have a hood at my lps tomorrow before putting in my betta
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Also you can buy cheap mesh at a hardwear store and make a custom frame that fits snug into your tank with the same dividers used to make the cheaper tank dividers as well. I had one for my tank and never had issues with it.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood, tank