Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Debating

Hi there. As some of you know, I had a thread about my Betta Pigg and it turns out he has fin rot. Now, over the last few days (before I found out he was sick) I was thinking of getting a second Betta- a gorgeous half-moon plakat with a white face, an aqua body and white fins with gold running in them. My problem:

Pigg is now sick and I want to devote all my time to him. I had been planning on putting the new Betta into my friend's 5g tank (which she said I could permanently keep today), but it is now being used as Pigg's QT. I COULD get the new Betta and keep him in a 1g until Pigg is better, hopefully in a 1-3 week period, then put the new Betta in the 5g after a 100% water change. In the small tank I can't provide a heater, but I can place it in between my 10g and my QT, if that would be acceptable.

This is the most beautiful Betta I have ever seen (not that I don't think every Betta is beautiful and that I don't love Pigg anymore) and I would hate for him to go into the hands of some of the numskulls in my town, who just keep the fish in the little cups.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to get him?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

First off Fin rot equals problem. I would figure out what caused it and work more on preventing it first.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

I'm getting a new test kit tomorrow to see if my levels had something to do with it. I'm also making sure to do more water changes and frequent testing. I am open to any other things that may have caused it, I just don't want it to happen again! I am more than willing to do whatever in my power I can to keep it from happening again.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Then get the new one.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

I think I will! I'm just wondering- will not having a proper heater for a week or two seriously affect him or would he be all right? It's winter where I am, so the room temperature is about 78 (my parents like it to be very hot in the house apparently) and the tank is about three feet off the ground and four from the vent heated, plus both my 10g and QT are heated at 81 or 82. Would he be all right?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add a heater. The Temp in the tank will not be 78 if the airs 78.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I don't have a heater, is my problem. Do they even sell heaters for 1g?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 
Syriiven

They sell 7.5-10 Watt heaters that are small and can do the job, but you should see what the water temp is before adding the heater (in case of over heating) because these small heaters aren't adjustable. I'd say get him while you can, and do the best that you can. Maybe even see if you can float the 1g inside the 10g so it has the proper warmth. Might take some Macguivering though.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #9 
Myates

Fin rot happens due to damage to the fins and bacteria (usually from not enough water changes) attacks it.

Can go up to 25 watts for a heater in a 1g with no trouble.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #10 
eatmice2010

I dont use a heater for my 10 gl tank, my room stays about 80-70 and my tank stays around the 70's
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote