Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #11 
resa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
It depends, really. I've gotten a few really nice Bettas from PetSmart, but I've also gotten some amazing looking ones from PetCo..

PetCo does sell higher end Bettas, they seem to get them from great breeders and PetSmart is now breeding their own fish, including their Bettas and they honestly don't seem to know as much about the different types. I often find PetSmart to have mixes of HM and DT labeled as HMs. Since PetSmart is breeding their own you can often find quite young ones there too, under a year but not in their fry stage any more, unlike PetCo who usually has either fry or 1 year+.

My PetSmart gets their Bettas in on I believe Friday or Thursday, while PetCo gets theirs in Wednesday. You may want to call your nearest PetCo before diving out and see what day they get their shipment of Bettas in. You don't want to drive out and have them only have about 4 VTs left or something.

Also, it varies between PetCo to PetCo, my local store has about 8 different types of males while the one in a neighboring town has double that as well as higher end Bettas in color and posture.

Here is a handful of photos of Bettas I have gotten from each store:

Petsmart boy (got real lucky with him! they never turn out this great):

From this:

To this:

PetCo boy:

From this:

To this:
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...61640836_n.jpg (img may stretch screen, so i left with just a link)

PetSmart:

PetCo:

PetSmart (Delta labeled as a HM):

PetCo:

PetSmart (i love this guy so much lol, he's grown the most):

Now none of these guys are super amazingly amazing like PetCo can get in, but they are uhm, yes, "higher quality" Bettas and they keep getting better and better ones in. They are also much more expensive, so remember to bring your money with you, you can end up buying a $24 Betta. But you never know what you might find, or who may find you. Currently I only have 4 Bettas, two are from PetCo and two are from PetSmart.

wow how gorgeous the first one is, its jaw dropping. I supposedly have a VT male ....he's not as pretty as yours but he's still a cutie...
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #12 
carbonxxkidd

You really just need to look around. When I got my two boys from Petsmart, ALL their bettas looked really healthy at the time. I got them in November, and now all their bettas look sad and sickly. That goes for all 3 Petsmarts I've gone to in my area. I think a lot of the problem is it's freezing outside and their store isn't properly heated? I've gotten all but one of my sorority girls from Petco and all of them looked healthy and were active in their cups. I've gone to 4 different Petcos and with the exception of one that only had like 3 bettas in the store, they have all impressed me with the quality of their fish. Based on that alone, I'm kind of prefering Petco at this point, but I still look at Petsmart every time I go there! It's kind of hit and miss, just like Walmart - one day all the bettas will look great (probably the first day they arrive in the store, but you know) and the next they'll all be sick/dying.

Don't be afraid to sit and watch the fish for a while to see how they act, how they respond to other fish and to you. All of my fish seemed curious about me and their neighbors, had nice fins and overall looked happy (minus being in a cup). Petsmart and Petco both have return policies on their fish too, Petsmart is 14 days and Petco is 30, so if there's a problem you are able to bring it back.

Also, +1 on calling ahead to see when they get their shipments in!

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 01-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #13 
Skyewillow

I don't buy many PetCo/Petsmart fish, I never buy a Petsuppliesplus betta. Theirs are always dead/dying, and beyond my skills of rehabilitation.

However, I've seen some nice fish in both stores, (which are all 30+ miles from me either way I go, except PSP which is 11). I bought my blue Marble HM at a Petsmart, and my two baby girls are PetCo bettas. I see more variety in PetCo, by a landslide.

If you're going to make a trip like that, you should also visit some mom & pop places on your way there and back. If you go on the way up, and find something you like, you can either save yourself the rest of the trip, or keep that one in mind while you check PetCo. That way, you might have some ideas in case you don't find one that catches your eye at PetCo, and you can pick it up on the way back. Generally, those smaller stores have healthier bettas, even if they don't have as much variety to choose from.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #14 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Petco's prices are usually absurd but I do find a better selection with them. Petsmart does have some nice looking fellas but I've only seen them in the bigger Petsmart. We have 3 Petsmarts within a 20 or so mile radius which is sad I guess but only the2 farther ones away have a good choice. But most of my sorority girls came from Petsmart because they sometimes have a great choice.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #15 
RoMay

True petco has a lot of variety when it comes to types of bettas, but when it comes to beauty I think they are both tied. THere was a nice male betta that I wish I could have gotten yesturday from petsmart. But seriously I wouldn't count where ever you choose to go to think the color betta you get is going to stay that way. While Jabi (from pets mart) remains white and red, Kaoru (from oetci) has made big changes. A lot of bettas from what I seen changed colors on people,

Guess what I am saying is don't get a betta because it's a betta get a betta because you feel you can't walk away from it. You should feel a connection with your bugger.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #16 
rubinthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I never buy a Petsuppliesplus betta. Theirs are always dead/dying, and beyond my skills of rehabilitation.
Really? Dirk was from PSP and he was perfectly healthy. Then again, I got him in Connecticut so the PSP you mentioned is probably not the same PSP Dirk was from.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #17 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMay View Post
True petco has a lot of variety when it comes to types of bettas, but when it comes to beauty I think they are both tied. THere was a nice male betta that I wish I could have gotten yesturday from petsvmart. But seriously I wouldn't count where ever you choose to go to think the color betta you get is going to stay that way. While Jabi (from pets mart) remains white and red, Kaoru (from oetci) has made big changes. A lot of bettas from what I seen changed colors on people,

Guess what I am saying is don't get a betta because it's a betta get a betta because you feel you can't walk away from it. You should feel a connection with your bugger.
Yea I know what u mean about connection. I once walked away frm a beta thay really wanted. He would eye me every time I walk by that shelf. I couldnt sleep that night and came back the ve next day to get him.
Posted via Mobile Device
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #18 
Fishybitty

I have bought five females before from Petsmart, and they died about after 5 months. I woke up one day and they were just dead. My cory cats were fine. I don't know what happened. My best betta was actually from Walmart. Oddly enough. I might actually check out Petco like everyone is suggesting.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #19 
phikhanhs
Banned

i never heard petsmart breeding their own betta
phikhanhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #20 
Jupiter

We don't have Petco here, and until recently (like the last year or so), Petsmart only carried very basic VTs & CTs (typical reds and blues, but sometimes you'd get lucky and find something else).

Petsmart recently started selling HMs too, so they bring in a little more variety, but from the few Petcos I've been to, they seem to have a larger collection of fin types + colours.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote