Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #11 
MollyJean

I have to differ in opinion from Bluewind. A filter would be useful in a larger tank, but with a 5 gallon, you won't be able to hold a stable cycle. Yes it can be done, but not for a newbie. (Sorry, not meant to be offensive, honest!) And Betta get most of their air from the surface, so a bubbler or air stone isn't needed. With the longer finned fish like betta a current can be a serious problem. Overall, it's just not needed for betta. If you WANT to get one, by all means, learn what it takes to cycle a tank and get a filter. But it won't hurt not to have one AS LONG AS YOU DO WATER CHANGES! For the water changes, I would simply invest in a bucket from Lowes for 5 bucks and a length of air line tubing, that you can pick up in a pet store, Walmart or a hardware store (ask for ice maker hose and go from there) Water changes are your first line of protection for your fish :)

He might be bored. Get him a mirror and set it up against the glass of his tank. If you can make him flare his beard out you're doing it right. Flaring isn't dangerous as long as it's not too often. 2-3 times a week for about 5 minutes at a time. Mine like chasing around pencil erasers and My Little Pony figures. *shrugs* Laser pointers are a lot of fun too.

I was a little confused on a couple of things. How long have you had him?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #12 
Bluewind

I am talking more on water current and oxygenation. The OP has shrimp and a snail which are fully aquatic and without oxygenation, they will have to make numerous trips to the top of the water for air. Moving water can also stimulate the fish IMO as I have often seen them playing in it. And Betta, while they get MOST of their oxygen from the surface, also get some from the water. Thank you for your observation hun so I could clarify why I said what I did
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #13 
BlooBird

Hi Molly, I value both of your opinions

I really dont have the means of getting a filter or anything expensive, I love my fish im just not rich! For water changes is it okay if i just scoop out the dirty water and slowly replace it with new? I think I do have some air line tubing, can you explain to me how to use it and how to correctly change my water?

Thanks!
BlooBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #14 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooBird View Post
Nothing that I can see he looks fine and normal, I noticed that he does the seizure actions when im near his vase or i come home from work. Is that normal? Maybe he's just a goofball I have no idea!
That's good! At least we can rule out injury

He might just be becoming startled when you come close. Do you have a little cave or something he can hide in? If not, that could be it. He needs the security. If you buy him something, make sure it's innert. WalMart sells some orniments that aren't and can mess up your pH!

He also might be reacting to going from lack of sound to sound (like the baby that cries at a pindrop because the parents try to hard to be quiet). In that case, the noise from the filter may help. It's a gentle humming that you wont notice, but it will keep him from being in the quiet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #15 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooBird View Post
Hi Molly, I value both of your opinions

I really dont have the means of getting a filter or anything expensive, I love my fish im just not rich! For water changes is it okay if i just scoop out the dirty water and slowly replace it with new? I think I do have some air line tubing, can you explain to me how to use it and how to correctly change my water?

Thanks!
That's okay. He can live a full life without one. It just makes everything a little easier.

Scooping out water and adding fresh is fine. You can also use the tubing to suction the bottom of the tank once a week by sucking on the tube a bit and then letting the water pour into a bucket that is lower than the tank. Like you would if you were siffening gas. When in doubt, do a pwc. You can over-change you water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #16 
Bluewind

Hey Molly, what's your take on those fizzy tablets they make as betta water conditioners? I've never used them, so I'm clueless about them. I was worried that they might increase CO2 a bit since they fizz. It wouldn't be a problem for airated or filtered water, but this is still. Do you think it might be contributing to the fish's mentality? Or is it a positive addition?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #17 
MollyJean

I've never used the tabs for conditioning, but I do use CO2 tabs for my plants. Whatever CO2 is in those little tabs shouldn't do anything to the water, so I wouldn't worry about it. I just prefer liquid, it's easier to use drops. I'm sure there are no solid bits sitting around. BlooBird, You might want to tell us the brand name, there might be forum members who have used it and know more. I don't think it would do anything to your fish really.

Last edited by MollyJean; 01-02-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: I got REALLY mixed up!!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #18 
Bluewind

Thanks Molly. Anytime I think of fizzing water, I picture that thing I was shown with the fish an the alkaselser (sp?). *shivers*

Yeah, I'm all for the drops. Andd those tabs are kind of like buying water test strips. The liquids always work out to be cheaper in the longrun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #19 
MollyJean

I do agree there. I always have test strips around, I can check things fast (I have between 8 and 10 tanks at any given time, speed is important!) but when I'm not in a hurry the liquid tests just work better and are SO MUCH easier to read. And tell you more.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #20 
callistra

How do you know this is 5 gallons? A 5 gallon vase would be HUGE.. I highly doubt it's this big.. they are also not suitable for keeping bettas in as they like wide shallow areas and that is tall and narrow.

Also in a 5 gallon you would need to be changing the water 100% weekly. In anything less you would need a minimum of 2 water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. Also you need to get rid of the shrimp and the snail.. especially the snail as they are very dirty and will muck up the water even 2x-3x as much and require 2x-3x more water changes.

He probably has severe ammonia poisoning from the condition of the water.

Here is how to do this without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
Getting water quality back is a start.

I would also not use tablets but a liquid water conditioner like Prime - something that says it removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals - and in his case specifically ammonia as well. Prime and AmQuel plus are the two I am aware of that do this.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote