Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 
Kiyi

Feeding shedule help?

I have three different pellets, and three different treats sitting in front of me. I'm not sure of the best way of going about giving my betta a varied diet.

I have the NLS Betta Formula Pellets, and the Omega One Betta Bouffet Pellets, which I heard were both good.
For treats I have freeze-dried Bloodworms, Daphnia, and Mysis. (I'm aware I need to soak them before feeding.)

But I also have a homemade pellet from a website called "Shrimp Bites" which I'm unsure of. They seem ok to me, but this if my first betta, and first fish. I'll probably have to cut the pellets in half, because they're very large.

Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Bites: protein 46%, fat 2%, fiber 2%

Ingredients: fish meal, shrimp meal, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, fish oil, squid meal, dried brewers yeast, calcium propionate, rice bran, garlic, brine shrimp, cantaxanthin, vitamins and minerals.

Size comparison for shrimp bites: In order first to last, Shrimp bite, omega one pellet, NLS pellet.

I'll split up pellet servings into half in the morning, and half at night. (6 for NLS, 4 for Omega One, and two cut up for shrimp bites. My Betta is a little small though, smaller then the adults at the pet store, so should I do smaller portions?)
So...
Monday- Vast
Tuesday- Pellet
Wednesday- Pellet serving in morning, and treat at night.
Thursday- Pellet
Friday- Pellet
Saturday- Pellet
Sunday- Pellet serving in morning, and treat at night.

Would that be alright? Should I alternate pellets weekly, or daily?

He'll never eat all this food I got. xD Least I'll never run out...
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

That is alright, though I would suggest only feeding your Betta once a day and fasting for once or twice a week :)
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #3 
Myates

You have a good schedule.. it's better to feed them multiple times a day rather than just once.... it's like us just eating once a day, not too healthy. Small multiple meals is ideal. Twice a day is common and easier, and it's better than once.

Do not need to fast.. I have never done a fasting day in the last 20yrs of keeping/raising tropical fish and have never had an issue with bloating - and I feed easily twice what you are planning lol. But that is your choice if you wish to fast - no harm will come if you do.

Don't need to soak the freeze dried prior - there is a myth that it will cause bloating - their digestive system doesn't work like that, the food doesn't expand in their bellies. What causes bloating is low quality food being feed too much. Keep in mind that as soon as the food hits the water it starts to break down and lose nutrition, so presoaking is doing more of a disservice rather than helping any.

Otherwise, all looks good and it seems you have a good plan. Your betta will be a lucky and healthy one :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 
Kiyi

Thank you Myates, there's so many differing opinions, it's hard to find out what's right for my little betta.

I had no idea pre-soaking was a myth, I read on here somewhere to pre-soak, and assumed it was true. xD I only plan on giving him very small cut pieces of freeze-dried food anyway.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #5 
Myates

Some people say to pre-soak, but I have learned from people with medical backgrounds and decades of raising/breeding bettas, etc that it doesn't bloat - I personally don't feed freeze dried, but I believe what certain people say who have my utmost respect when it comes to their knowledge :)

As long as it's not overboard, they should be fine - it's when people feed exclusively freeze dried and feed too much it becomes problematic. Your schedule is better than the average keeper :)

I can't recommend my feeding schedule lol - all of mine eat about 3x what most recommend to feed here, and my females are on a constant conditioning to breed, so it's even more lol - should see their tummies! But what you are planning is a good amount to keep their health and energy up :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote