Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #11 
NorthernLights

Oh no!

Oh my gosh I just watched him bite his own tail!!! My fish is going nuts!

I don't think the damage overall can be biting, though, because Odysseus would not be able to reach his dorsal and anal fins.

I have UGF.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #12 
callistra

Biting can be from boredom, illness or stress. You still haven't answered my question I asked twice on the last page.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #13 
NorthernLights

I have an UnderGravel Filter and I do have a movie but not sure how to share it.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #14 
callistra

Go look for free file hosting.. http://www.filedropper.com/ this looks like it would work.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #15 
NorthernLights

Here goes

http://www.filedropper.com/clip-2013-01-02224744
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #16 
NorthernLights

This morning his tail was looking pretty good, other than the shredded spot. Today most of his tail is affected.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #17 
callistra

It looks to me like just more has disappeared evening it out.

I was thinking maybe he was being stressed by the filter but there's no real obvious sign from that video.. could be but its' not like he's being whipped around or anything. So he's probably biting out of stress because he looks healthy otherwise. Turn off the filter for 24 hours and see if it stops... You're doing 100% weekly water changes anyway so 24 hours without the filter won't hurt here. Also try API Stress Coat+ at 1 ml per 1 gallon. Just dose once and you can redose with your water change at the same rate.

I'd still do a snag test with the plastic plants.. you have a lot in there.

Last edited by callistra; 01-05-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #18 
Shewbert

The fins look more torn than rotted, the plastic plant on the right just might be the culprit, it seems to have jagged/spiky edges, A plant might feel pliable and soft but Betta fins are very delicate it does not take much to rip them, I had one that ripped his fins badly on the heater adjustment knob.
Your fish might have just swam the wrong way through the plant snagging his fins, hence the sudden overnight changes, if it was rot it would not just show up instantly, it would be a progressive procedure.
Keep an eye on his swimming pattern and look out for any fin snagging on the plants or equipment.
Hope this helps, let us know of any new developments.
Mandy, Marine Biologist/Vet
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #19 
NorthernLights

the saga continues

I checked all my plants before I ever put them in the tank, and I have checked again and again since this started. I choose soft plants, which are about as soft as the silk beta plants I own (which Odysseus doesn't much care for, BTW. He seems to dislike bright colors and colors that are unnatural -- ironically, he also dislikes royal blue flowers!). I also trim carefully any sharp points (such as the amazon sword) if they are not super soft.

It's now been another week and not much has changed. He does not seem to have bitten his tail since that one night. I re-arranged his tank several times and put in a new decoration (a Buddha head) to try to keep him entertained, although his favorite activity still seems to be watching me when I am watching him.

His fins are still shredded, and I do not see signs of new growth, but they also do not seem to have gotten worse. He is still more lethargic than normal, which means he sometimes rests for several minutes at a time instead of only one. His tail has much less red wash than it did when this started -- now it's pretty much confined to the areas immediately around the shredding.

I did not replace the salt when I cleaned his tank today, since I understand AqSalt should not be used for more than 10 days. I have been using quite a bit of StressCoat, and I have continued to do that. I ordered some Kanaplex which has been delayed by bad weather and road conditions here, and is now supposed to be here on Monday. I did find a rusted spot on one of the bamboo plants today and I removed that one from the tank. I am not sure how long that has been going on, but perhaps it is contributing to the problem?

I have been feeding him NLS Betta pellets this week because some folks here seem to think they are better than OmegaOne Betta Buffet. I think he prefers OmegaOne, but I wanted to try something different to see if it helped. I have not given him treats in a long while (OmegaOne Bloodworms). Would those help? I know bloodworms are basically empty calories, but maybe more treats would boost his immune system by boosting morale?

Last edited by NorthernLights; 01-12-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot bit about rust
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #20 
NorthernLights

Oh no!

Tonight his dorsal fin has a new hole in it, this time closer to his body. His dorsal fin is a real mess. My kanaplex arrived tonight and I added it to the water immediately.

Help!