Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #11 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by resa View Post
ok i'm on a tetra forum too and im in their chat room and they agree with you on returning them :( i feel so guilty and ignorant tho
You have to learn some how. I find it commendable to see someone trying to correct a mistake then just let the fish die. A lot of pet stores list them as beginner fish as well and this is not the case.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #12 
resa

on the tetra forum their telling me to suck out the water while the fish are in there and leave just enough for the fish to swim in and then put clean water in there again and fill back up.....
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #13 
Phaydra

Yes changing the water will reduce the ammonia in the tank and make it safer for the fish. You still need to return the neons and algae eaters. The neons will not survive a cycling process and from the pictures in your album it looks like you have Chinese Algae Eaters though it's hard to tell from that picture. They are not true algae eaters and grow up to to 11". They are also known fish killers once they mature. They move off eating algae to sucking the sides of their tank mates.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #14 
resa

ok so i still need to do water changes everyday even once i bring the tetras back? bc thats what that forum is telling me in the thread i created and in the chat room
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #15 
Phaydra

You only need to daily till all the Neons are removed and one right after they are remove. I suggest you read the stickies on the forums about cycling and water changes for Bettas. Since you can't get a test kit then it's going to be hard to determine if the water is safe for your betta. It can take a month or longer to cycle a tank and I will suggest preparing the new water the night before. I am not sure of the weather in winter in your location but if you are the heating tank to keep it around 80ish degrees you will need to heat the new water as well. If the tank is holding the correct temperature without a lot of help from the heater then just allowing the water to sit in the same room over night will ensure your Betta is not getting a temperature change shock each water change you do.

Last edited by Phaydra; 01-02-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #16 
Phaydra

Here let me help a little more. These are all good reading material in my option. They will help answer a few questions for you I believe

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #17 
resa

im taking tetras and algae eaters back today.... so tonight should i do a 100% water change? unfortunately i do not have anything to put new water in until its temp is correct...the only hose i have is one that connects to the water hose and it sucks out the water that way and pushes water in from the hose...however i still have my bettas 1 gallon bowl i can put him in that until his tank reaches the desired temperature...i do need to take some things back to walmart so i'll get money back on those so i may have a little money for the test kit 20.00 but thats it so what test kit do i need to get for my bettas tank water if you could find something on petsmarts website or walmarts that would be very helpful :) thanks for putting so much effort into this with and for me :)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #18 
resa

ok reading from first link you gave....what is the filter media?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #19 
Phaydra

Filter media is what actually goes into the filter. It is fits into 3 categories. Biological which is normally a sponge or other items Bactria can live on/in. Chemical is normally carbon and clean chemicals out of the water column. Mechanical removes small to large partical from the water column.

As far as test kits you want something like this http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/...x?ProductID=67. Liquid test kits are more accurate the strip test kits but Any you can afford are better then none.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #20 
resa

i see the api master test kit is more than i'll have when i go to the store....is there one thats between 10.00 and 15.00?