Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #21 
resa

thank you now when i click on liquid test kits it gives me several things i can click on...which one is the most important i need to test for?
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #22 
resa

ok what is the most important test kit i'll need? ammonia liquid test kit? or other
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #23 
Phaydra

Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates. You need all three when cycling a tank. Once cycled you will generally only need a Nitrates test.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #24 
resa

ok hopefully petsmart or walmart will have a nitrate test kit...if not what is the second necessary thing to have? and considering my fish's situation is there any medication i need to buy?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #25 
resa

i am taking the tetras and algae eaters back period btw..... just saying
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #26 
resa

im getting confused bc on the other sites forums its saying nitrate test kits are needed bc i'll be doing frequent water changes...but this is what i want....NOT TO HAVE TO CHANGE WATER VERY OFTEN what helps keep me from doing that?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #27 
Phaydra

Aquarium salt and Epson salt. Both are fairly cheap and best thing you can have around to treat Bettas with. One of the main reason I do not recommend housing Neons with Bettas is the fact Tetras are very sensitive to salts. You can treat the majority of Betta issues with these two salts unless you have a type of tetra in your tank. You can also buy Indian Almond Leaves to keep in your tank. There are pros and cons to keeping IAL in your tank. The con mostly being the water color if that bothers you.

You have a lot to digest over then next few days. You can just keep to a uncycled water change routine right now and buy the test kits items as you can afford it. There is many forums with DIY sections to where you can find ways to make items you may need or want for a lot less then you can buy them.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #28 
resa

im being told on fishforums.net that i wont be needing a nitrate kit bc i'll be changing my water im getting confused
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #29 
resa

right now i cant tell that he's sick but i was just asking ya know in case he does get this way..i have epsom salt already but didnt know it could be used for fishies
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL is good for all Blackwater fish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote