Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #41 
resa

.i brought my tetras back in a bowl with water from the aquarium and i had them test it and the alkaline was past the testing thing he said he couldnt believe the rest of the fish didnt die he had to put them in QT and bring them back to health bout to go to the store to get a test kit...i seen a amonia test kit made by seachem and it stays in the tank with a suction cup is this worth it? and what type of test do i really need now knowing what was wrong with my tank? i'm about to leave in 15-20 min maybe less so please help me and respond quickly thank you
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #42 
resa

also im using the aqua tech 5-15 model filter and it states in the instructions to change cartridge every 2 to 4 weeks is this necessary?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #43 
MSG

Just get the API Master Test Kit.

It has everything you need.

$20-$25 is worth it for this test kit because it will last you well over a year.

The ammonia alert with the suction cups is a waste of money.

For the filter, no you don't need to change the cartridge. If it gets clogged with bacteria goodness, just rinse out the filter media once every 1-2 months in a 5 gallon bucket of your siphoned tank water.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #44 
resa

ok i broke down and got the api master test kit! i havent done a water change yet. i'm doing that at some point today though. but i went ahead and tested the nitrite and nitrate and ph..... well the nitrate and nitrite came back at 0 and the ph basic test was bright bright blue and i didnt do the ammonia test or that other ph high test yet.....but now i see why petsmart said my water has so much alkaline in it, it was from the ph test reading. so i'm going to do a water change at some point today and then do these test over
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #45 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yay! Do the ammonia test too, that's the one you most likely have in your water right now. As long as the water stays clean I'm sure the betta will be fine.

From the pH test you have alkaline water. This is not bad for your betta, don't worry! Bettas aren't too sensitive to things like pH, but some other fish (like the tetras) wouldn't do as well in high pH.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #46 
resa

ok i've finished the cleaning of my tank hours ago. this is my test results after having cleaned the tank (i also cleaned all decor as well) ammonia was .50-1.0 ....PH was 7.6.....PH High was 8.4-8.8......nitrite was 0.....nitrate was 0....so now what
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #47 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hmm, that's still really high for ammonia. I'd try another change tomorrow.. Definitely what did the tetras in. Have you cleaned out the filter? Take a bucket of dirty aquarium water and rinse out the filter cartridge.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #48 
Phaydra

I would suggest checking your tap water for ammonia too. Mine has ammonia in it so I use Prime as my water conditioner.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #49 
resa

ok at some point today i'll do another water change....now i did leave zeek in the tank to do te water change and only left enough water in it for him to swim around in....should i remove him this time to do a 100% water change? and i'll check the tap water with the test before i do anything else today.....
Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #50 
resa

another site is telling me i dont need to do a filter cleaning since its only a week old