Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #1 
stareyes

Help!! Don't know What is Wrong with him :(

We have had General Finn for around 3 months and so far have had no issues with him besides a minor case of fin rot. I was gone for 10 days for Christmas Break (my boyfriend fed him) and when I got home 2 days ago I immediately did a 100 percent water change. I did a 100 percent water change before break also. He is in a 5 gallon, heated tank. The tank is at 82. When I did this water change I also changed his heater from a preset to an adjustable. Yesterday he was really lethargic which was concerning, but still had an appetite. He was also clamped. When I fed him last night he immediately became bloated so I planned on fasting him for the next 2 days because I figured my boyfriend probably overfed him during break. His bloat has gone done, but he is incredibly lethargic and is just laying on the bottom of his tank (I keep thinking he is dead :( ) . His belly is looking discoloured (greyish white) and his gills look silverish?? I feed him Aqueon Betta Pellets (3-4) twice a day, sometimes alternating Hikari frozen blood worms and Omega Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp. I change his water 50 percent once a week (following OFL recommendations). Please Help! I am really afraid we are going to lose him
stareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #2 
stareyes

Here's some pics (sorry they aren't the best, but he is sticking close to his rock set). I also noticed that he is still a bit bloated and his struggling to swim to the surface, should I try epsom salt??
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #3 
jessp118

the pictures are not showing up for me. It will be easier for the other members to diagnose your fish if you fill this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #4 
stareyes

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 galleon
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day (3-4 pellets)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once (sometimes twice) a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Clamped, Bloated, Greyish around gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very Lethargic (he never sits still usually), is having trouble swimming, but can still make it to the surface to breathe. Spends most of his time leaning against his decor or on his side (face seems to always be pointed down)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday he was really lethargic and then became bloated right after I fed him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't fed him since last night, but besides that no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had minor fin rot about 3 weeks ago
How old is your fish (approximately)? We have had him 3 months, but I am not sure how old he actually is
I will try to repost the photos
Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #5 
stareyes

http://sn131w.snt131.mail.live.com/a...YWdlL2pwZWc_3d
Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #6 
stareyes

Please can someone help! He is now barely able to swim and is gasping for air
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

To understand-he was fine until after the 100% water change you did when you got home after 10 days without any water changes in a 5gal filtered tank...correct....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #8 
stareyes

Yes, he was perfectly fine. He was fine after the water change for about a day and now he can't swim and he's bloated :(
Old 01-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #9 
stareyes

Should I do another full change in case something got into the tank??
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

How did you re-acclimate him with the 100% water change....

What I would go ahead and do now-turn off the filter and lower the water level to about 3 inches or Better-QT in a small container that can be floated (attached so it doesn't sink) in the heated tank to maintain temp. Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity over the water and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannin treatment.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL (1crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min-Shake well before each use.

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water change every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-make 50% daily water changes for the next 10-14 days.
If you used a tannin source the water in the 1gal jug should look darker every day.

Hopefully its not osmotic shock or nitrate shock-since its fatal within 24-48h and not much can be done to reverse it.

Good luck
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote