Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Wink Wowsas!

What an exciting past 24 hours we have had with 2 of our bettas.

Firstly, my hubby had picked up the scragliest, fugliest dragon scale CT male EVER a couple weeks ago. He had fin rot, missing fins, and a general...I hate life stance. I secluded him in our old Anchor Hocking 50's style glass goldfish bowl, heated and oxygenated (no carbon filter)...and followed some sound advice I recieved by reading through here and advice given by another member. (whom I really need to look up and thank)
ANYWAY, he stayed depressed, munched his food, went back to his grass and cave. I changed his water daily. Finally, he came up and blew me a kiss. I gave him a blood worm. Eventually he would take food from my hand but he NEVER flared, never seemed happy unless I was standing over him.
I finally started seeing some regrowth, and put him in a more permanent set up last night. I really didn't expect this fish to make it. He has a sweet personality, but I expected to wake up to a dead fish.... after dealing with these tempramental women in the sorority...
This morning he was in FINE form. He was so PROUDLY flaring his bright red fins, and he was these HUGE gills, like extra flesh coming from them. He blew up for me so many times just as full of life and spunk as you could hope for. I have never seen gills like his, but he is a bit older than my older two males. He looks very handsome, like he is wearing a ruffled collar.
Very proud of my lil man. I really am. I was kinda teary eyed.

Now to the OTHER betta. I had a female I had twice tried to acclimate to the sorority, using every tgrick and peice of advice I could find. Nothing worked. She even turned the other girls against one another!
I conceded and told my daughter she could have her. I was going to buy a 2.5 gallon tank for her and let it be over with.
After I cleaned the dragon scales former "hospital" (the anchor hocking) and provided it with fresh new accesories and good gravel from my gravel tank, I placed her in the bowl until her new diggs arrived.
Of course she circled, mad as hell, per usual.
Then she was gone.
I have looked everywhere. I cannot find her. Just an empty, clean bowl.
I left her alone maybe a half hour before she disappeared. Even if she could jump 5 inches, she would have been jumping into a convex edge.
I just dont get it. No clue where she is. I looked all last night and this morning.
Gone.
With her personality, I half expected her to be waiting in the backseat of my car this morning, with a mini knife clenched in her mouth, ready to shank me.
I am completly puzzled.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

omg, thats funny. mini knife.hilarious. betta are jumpers. in the wild in the dry season they jump from puddle to puddle to survive. i wouldn't be surprised if she made it across the room, before she died. that stinks, sorry.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #3 
SolomonFinch

o my! can they really jump 5 inches straight up?!
Seriously! I don't know!
She was so little and so damn near stupid mean that I thought she was safe uncovered...really!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #4 
Bluewind

How old is the daughter? I'm asking because my 3 year old nephew actually found my net one day and tried to take my Betta out of his tank so he could "pet Gus"

Congrads on the happy male. Do you have pics of him? I would love to see
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

lol. my son petted 4 goldfish to death before i figured it out. then he tried to flush my cory cat. stupid nemo, and his "all drains go to the ocean" speech.

Last edited by sandybottom; 01-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #6 
SolomonFinch

Well, my kids are older(ish) and in bed when all this occurred.
Now that you mention it...I do remember my daughter came down for water, while I was shopping online for girl a suitable tank.
But my daughter really liked her, and had she removed or injured the fish, she would have flipped out. I mean, she knows better. One of the reasons I have turned into a crazy fish person is because my kids are older and do not need me so much.
Good night, I hope she would have known better. Surely so, I have so many other tanks....and she didnt even know her girl was in the bowl.
O , my. Now I am thinking on it.
But in the meantime, she really could have jumped that high? The fish, not my daughter (LOL)
If so, that is incredibly amazing! That would be like a 6 foot man jumping 30 feet straight up into the air. That would be like flying...and with INTENT, in order to miss that convex edge.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #7 
SolomonFinch

O, and I will be happy to supply photos of the DragonScale... Ill take some later tonight. My husband named him something crazy from "Game of Thrones", I cannot even spell it.
I have been calling him "Sgt. Pepper" because of his coloration and his scales looked like medals. Also, I would sing that song to him to try and pep him up when he was so depressed looking. He looked like a lonely heart.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #8 
SolomonFinch

I just publically admitted to singing to fish to cheer them up.

!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

well i've never seen a betta jump higher than an inch. seems maybe she has disappeared under strange circumstances........have you tried to take the deco out? is she caught in a plant? or under one? maybe she left the country,carjacking people along the way,with her shankin' knife.j/k,lol. really weird though.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hahaha and by the way, bettas do not jump from puddle to puddle.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote