Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #1 
Rosso1011

Time to mourn

Just wanted to let anyone who knows me that I might be taking some time off to mourn the loss of Rosso. He was my last male betta. He didn't look sick, he didn't suffer from a heater malfunction, he was acting like his normal self (stubborn and would zip into a hidey hole when there was a visitor).

I understand that I have had him approximately 14 months and I cannot know his exact age at the time of his purchase but he was my first betta and it kills me inside that I lost him. I feel like it's my fault somehow. I don't know if I could be taking better care of my bettas.

I am wondering if I will be able to appreciate males after losing two of them in such a short time span. I cannot even process writing his memorial yet.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

It was probably just his time to go. I'm sure you took wonderful care of him and I'm sure he appreciated it, too. Don't blame yourself.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I am so sorry for your loss. :(
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #4 
Rosso1011

Thanks everyone. It might have been just his time to go. It still hurts because I see a bunch of members talking about how their bettas have lived much longer. I want my bettas to have that sort of long life span. I feel there must be something I could be doing different.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that every betta is different. Ive had some ghat didn't live in the most perfect conditions but lived for 3 years and others that I took better care of and they only lived like a year.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

So sorry :( I lost my first at 14 months to.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #7 
aemaki09

I'm sorry from your loss. Some betta's - especially ones from pet-stores are already predisposed to have short live spans, the breeders dont go for quality, jsut quantity, and in turn, your betta lives a shorter life. Dont feel like its your fault in any way shape or form.
I'm sure he lived an absolutely wonderful life with you for the 14 months you had him. Atleast you gave him a better life than dying in a cup. I'm sorry you lost such a close friend!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #8 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Don't blame yourself if he was your first betta that is quite a good age.....so many people buy them and don't know how to care for them and they usually don't live very long, my first bettas only lived like six months because I did not know how to care for them. Now they generally live about 3 years.

Another important thing to remember is that life span is highly hereditary. It may be that your betta inherited genes from his parents (or somewhere further down the line) that caused your betta to have a shortish life. My bettas generally live around three years however my Giant that I purchased earlier in the year died at only around 8 months old. He had the best of care but died young never the less. Don't blame your self, I am sure you did the best by him
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #9 
Rosso1011

Thank you all for your responses. It is painful losing a Betta that has been with you for so long. I appreciate all the kind words. It has been difficult because I lost another male, Poseidon, in October due to heater malfunction. It feels like only yesterday that I lost Poseidon and now I have just lost Rosso. I am trying so hard to not let it affect my presence on the forum or the way I feel for male bettas but I may have to give myself time before I buy another male Betta at least.