Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1 
daisythecannibal

Curved Gourami?

I've had this Gourami for about 2 weeks now. At the end of the first week, I noticed he was not swimming very well (almost vertically when he actually swam, he would just kind of hover above the bottom most of the time), had some white patches on his head, and was not eating (that I knew of).

I put him in an isolation tank, and instantly his swimming was better, and then following a Petco employees advice I treated him with Maracide and Maracyn-Two for a week. He seemed to improve, he was swimming more and in a normal fashion, but tonight when I was deciding if I would move him back into his normal tank I noticed he looks like he is curved. I don't think he's always been like that, but I could be wrong. What should I do? Is this serious? I have a picture that hopefully I will figure out how to post... [/img]
daisythecannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #2 
Cody

It may be a birth defect. If he looks like he is swimming fine, he is alert, eating well, etc, then I wouldn't worry. If he struggles at all in your main tank, I would take some caution with him. My friend had a birchir with a deformed tail once (stuck out to the side), but it didn't affect the birchir. He acted like any other birchor I have seen.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #3 
willow

bump. :)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #4 
herefishy
Banned

I doubt very seriously that it is a birth defect. I imagine he was just fine at your lfs. My guess wouldbe some type of viral infection, in which case you would need to medicate.

Check out this link:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=45
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #5 
daisythecannibal

He's been being medicated for the past week with the Maracide and Maracyn-Two, is there something else I should be treating him with?
Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #6 
danielBIKE

fish stroke?
danielBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #7 
daisythecannibal

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, although I'm still not positive, what do you guys think about the possibility of Fish TB? I haven't noticed the vast majority of the symptoms other then what would appear to be the bent spine and the not eating, so I'm not exactly sure.

The other thing that I've been noticing is that his fins are kind of clumped, which I believe was a symptom of Velvet, should I do another week of treating for that?

Thank you so much for all of your help.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #8 
willow

gosh i hope it's not fish TB that's bad.
i really hope someone can help you,idk what to say. :(
maybe give Bettababy a pm,she's really good with this
sort of stuff.
willow is offline   Reply With Quote