Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 
jessisscary

All Sorts of Problems

I had three bettas. I got all three at my local PetSmart. The first two I have had for over a year, the third one I got this fall. A couple weeks ago I woke up to find him dead, he had shown no symptoms, nothing on him, no color changed, he was eating fine, etc. So I cleaned his tank and disinfected everything and went out and bought a new betta, this time a female. Two days later she was dead, she never eat for me and she didn't swim around very much.

So I went out and bought another one after cleaning and disinfecting again. He was fine, I bought him last Friday. Saturday he was still in his cup as I was still adjusting him to the new water, he jumped out and I have no idea how long he was laying on my desk. He was still moist and flopping though when I found him so I quickly put him back in his cup and covered it. He hasn't tried jumping anymore and he is now in his new tank. He was fine after he jumped but now it is Monday and he has his fin clamped to his side on the same side he was laying on. It also looks like there is some white stuff growing on him, and I also think he lost his eye on that side. He ate fine this morning and everyday before but now he is just laying weirdly at the bottom of the tank, sometimes swimming to a different spot. He swims crookedly because he doesn't use his one fin. I put some fungalcide in his tank with him that I had bought. I do not have any aquarium salt and don't know if I will be able to get some anytime soon, I will try though.

Now to one of my older bettas. I noticed the other day that his scales were turning kind of shiny white and his gills and stomach were also turning white too. He had very small spots around him that seemed to be growing fungus as well so I had been treating him for fungus too. I know that it wasn't ammonia poisoning because I had just changed his water the day before I was noticing this. He just kept getting worse and worse, not eating and sometimes laying sideways on the bottom or floating vertically. I found him dead this morning and am now disinfecting EVERYTHING in case it really was fungal or bacterial or anything. I am going to hold off a couple days before buying any more fish, as it looks like my newest one is on his death bed too.

If anyone as any ideas as to what else I could do for my new betta that jumped and lost his eye it would be greatly appreciated.

I should also let everyone know that all of my tanks are 2.5 gallons with small filters and heaters, the temperatures don't change as I keep close track with my thermometers. I also take great care in adjusting new bettas to the water and I ALWAYS put water conditioner in before adjusting them. I'm hoping my very first and favorite betta stays healthy, I've never had problems with him and he seems just fine right now so everyone keep you're fingers crossed.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.
jessisscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #2 
SQUIRT1216

Does he any of them have ich or velvet? You might need a flash light for velvet, almost similar to ich but golden dust instead of white. Fungus sound like definitely one of the problem that you have. You mention it lost of of its eyes so it could be "popeye" or unless you mean it gone blind which could be the result of fungus. Aquarium salt usually useful in this case since you have so many disease at once so it is hard to treat at once. Do you have anything to test the water with? Check for sudden strike in ammonia or nitrite, check the pH, water hardiness. Bad water quality usually it is the leading explanation for sudden death or disease. Unless we know for sure what happen and why your fish die, it is hard to do more research to cure or prevent it :(

I am sorry for your loss
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #3 
callistra

Sorry you're having so much trouble. How exactly did you disinfect the tank after you lost the first betta?

Did you acclimate also by adding some of the new tank water to his cup, or only by floating? Did you empty any of that cup water into the tank when you put him in, or were you careful not to let any in?

Photos would be helpful. Also it would be helpful if you could fill this out: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Give us info for each individual tank you keep, especially on temps (should be using a thermometer in the tank to know), water changes, and ammonia levels.

What exactly are you treating with this.. "fungalcide " It's probably actually columnaris which will need something like Kanaplex by Seachem, MAracyn Plus or Furan 2 (not as likely to work).
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 
jessisscary

I have no photos of the dead fish now, also the newest one died this afternoon, I figured he wasn't going to last much longer.

I haven't started having any trouble until my third fish died and since then everything has gone downhill.

The fungal medicine I was treating both with is called Pimafix by API.

When I acclimate new fish I take a little blue water that they come in out at a time (trash it) and pour a little bit of the tank water in, and I repeat until the water is completely clean and clear. But I let them sit for a couple hours a time between adding and dumping water. I never put the water they come in in the tank because it is completely disgusting.

I checked for velvet and saw no sparkly rust on either fish, and I know what ick looks like (My dad used to have three 75 gallon aquariums) so I feel that I'm pretty knowledgeable about fish and what is wrong with them.

I do not at the moment have anything to test my water with, but I'm definitely going to invest in a test kit, aquarium salt, and a stress coat solution sometime this week, and soon going to adopt two more bettas but for now I'm back to one, just Bam.

jessisscary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
callistra

Primefix is about like putting neosporin on a cut.. not really effective for any real infection. I suggest not using it. Columnaris certainly would not have been effected by it. It contains Pimenta racemosa (indian bay leaf oil) and Clove oil.

Bam looks very healthy :)

I would be very careful about cleaning the tanks these bettas have died in. I would soak the tank and anything non porous in a 10% bleach solution for 10-15minutes, and then rinse like crazy until there is no more bleach smell then I'd soak it again in some water and a big overdose of dechlorator and rinse some more. Then I'd dry it out a good 24 hours. I'd throw any ornaments and gravel away and start fresh. I'm thinking you have a nasty case of columnaris bacteria running around.

Also all this turning white.. it didn't look anything like this did it? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086

Last edited by callistra; 12-31-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

What about TB?

Quote:
Tuberculosis
•Symptoms: Fish will start acting sick for no apparent reason. They could just die. Symptoms include weight loss, lethargy, open sores, deformities (scoliosis, bent spine), raised scales, fin and tail rot, gray lesions, and many others. Generally, if your fish are dying in large amounts everyday, it is probably TB. BEWARE HUMANS CAN CONTRACT TUBERCULOSIS FROM FISH, IT IS A POTENTIALLY DEADLY DISEASE.
•Treatment: There is no known cure, it will generally kill all fish that come in contact with it. It is highly contagious. Bleach does not kill it so throw away all supplies...
Bleach also does not kill the mystery disease (I know it's been identified, I just didn't feel like looking up the name, lol).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #7 
callistra

It's usually not a very fast process. It can literally take months to kill a fish
Old 01-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know much about TB... besides that little paragraph, lol :p

I guess from the third paragraph is does kind of sound like columnaris.. Do you share things between the tanks (nets, siphons, etc..)?

Do you know what exactly causes columnaris, callistra?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #9 
callistra

It's an opportunistic infection usually comes from a lower fish immune system due to stress, and/or poor water conditions... I was trying to get at how often water changes were done, but I don't think I've gotten a response yet... although the remaining fish looks very healthy. Also fish from the pet store could have already had it because of the poor conditions their kept in.

There's a good discussion going on here about acclimating slowly: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124270
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm just curious about columnaris because I hear so often that it affects sorority tanks... also, no reply yet on how the OP disinfected the tank. (Edit: so it is one of those things like velvet that is always present but waits for the perfect time to attack?)

Sorry, I'm not trying to threadjack. :p