Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1 
missnikki

Please HELP! Betta problem

My betta has been in my new tank about 4 days now and has been fine - suddenly this morning I turn the light on and his fins are all stuck down to his body not all flared out like usual. What's wrong with him ????

I just gave him a couple betta bio gold pellets... he ate just one but at least he is eating.

Update:

I turned the filter off for a bit because I thought that might be bugging him, but I just turned it back on because I was informed that it will cause oxygen depletion in the water.

All tank parameters were normal except GH and KH which were low.

The tank is a marineland pillar tank 6 gallons came with its own filter which I put on lowest setting. I tried to give him another pellet but he didn't want it this time.

His fins do NOT look good.
missnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #2 
missnikki

This is him the other day

And this is him today
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #3 
Fishybitty

Please take time to fill this out (the best you can)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #4 
missnikki

What size is your tank? 6 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Not sure
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? For past 3 days, Aqueon Tropical Flakes because I did not have betta pellets ... today he got hikari biogold for the first time, after I noticed his fins looked bad.

How often do you feed your betta fish? So far, once a day. But I was going to have him on a program of pellets 3 days a week, boiled deshelled pea 1 day a week, and fast for 1 day a week. I have only had him 4 days.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I just got him 4 days ago, I have not yet done a water change. It's a brand new tank which was started with Stability and Prime added in to dechlorinate water and start cycle.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? When I first filled tank (approx 7 days ago) I added Prime to dechlorinate tap water and Stability to help start cycle before I got my betta.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Do not know
Nitrite: Do not know
Nitrate: Do not know
pH: 7.5
Hardness: Low
Alkalinity: Do not know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are stuck to eachother, flat against his body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not swimming as much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? First thing this morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No...
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No...
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. Asked at store where I got him but staff had no idea.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #5 
jessp118

If you are trying to cycle your tank they I highly recommend you test daily for ammonia. His fins may be like that due to stress. I'm still new to betta keeping so I don't have much to offer.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but you should do a 50% water change. And in the second picture it looks like there is a bump in the back of his abdomen. Does he swim around, and does it look like he struggles to reach the surface? It could just be the stress of moving in...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #7 
missnikki

He has swam around a bit today but is now just sitting at the bottom. I went to look at him and put my finger up to his face and he flared his gills out at me ... so I guess he has some fight in him still.

I thought a water change at this point would be too stressful - also he has only been in there with a heater and filter for 4 days so a water change should not be necessary at this point - I would like other opinions tho.

As for his abdomen, yeah he has a "bump" near the back of his abdomen since the day I got him but I have noticed similar looking "bumps" on tons of other bettas near their abdomen so I thought it was normal physical feature.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #8 
missnikki

Now he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank. If I only change a gallon how much prime do I put in after? I don't want to overdose.

Edit: if I run out of betta pellets and have to use reg. fish flake, how much flake would I give him per day? I fed him with flakes for his first 3 days here because I did not have betta food and am worried that is the issue.

Last edited by missnikki; 01-02-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #9 
callistra

He is very stressed by something. Are you using a glass in tank thermometer to monitor temps? You need one. What filter are you running? Maybe it is too strong for him.. you can turn it off temporarily and see if he perks up.

You use 2 drops per gallon of prime. Some of them come with a dropper on the cap. If yours doesn't have one you can use a standard clean glass eye dropper.

Feeding flakes can muck up the water pretty fast. I'd do a 50% water change now. here's how you can do it:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
You definitely need a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if you want to cycle. They need to be tested daily and a 50% change should be done when seeing levels of .25ppm of ammonia and/or nitrite. In addition to this you need one weekly 50% water change, including a siphoning of the gravel. You will see an ammonia spike followed by a nitrite spike. Ammonia will eventually get to zero then nitrites to zero and you will be left with only nitrates. Cycling can take up to 2 months. Stability is pretty hit or miss.. mostly miss. Once the tank is fully cycled one 50% a week with the gravel vac should keep things clean.

That bump is his swim bladder and it's normal.

Last edited by callistra; 01-02-2013 at 07:22 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #10 
missnikki

I definitley over fed him with flake the past 3 days ...

Callistra, I did the water change before reading your post so did not remove him - I just used the siphoning thingy to suck the rock and pull the water out - I didn't fully empty the tank, just changed about a gallon of water. Will do another similar change in a day or two again just to make sure it's all good. Going to get that kit on next pay day.