Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #1 
ellymay

my betta is sick help!

My son got a male betta for his birthday in November. He came with a small starter kit, you know the little plastic 1 or 2 qt. bowl. The first month he was perfect! Always wiggling when I came to feed him. Never had a heater or anything( just now reading that he needs one!). For about the last 3 weeks he has been laying sideways. He can swim fine when he feels like it, but he looks like his breathing is labored. He isn't coming to the top to eat like he did in the beginning. So I went to the pet store after reading some things on the internet. I got some new water conditioner called betta bowl essentials. I bought a live plant to absorb the nitrates, also got some antibiotics (neomycin?). I have been cleaning his water, put new rocks, all of the above for about three days, but no change. Also have been keeping a lamp on him to warm the water. He does not appear to have any ich on him. I need help! Thanks!
ellymay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #2 
King of Candlesticks

He might have a swim bladder problem. Not quite sure how you treat that.

I would strongly recommend a bigger tank say at least 2.5 gallons.
(Petsmart has a nice one for 10 bucks which is what I have mine in)

Also a heater will help keep your Betta from getting sick since being cold weakens them. you want your Bettas water to be around 80 degrees farenheit.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #3 
Cody

If he is lethargic, then you need a heater. Bettas get slow when the temperature is cold. A lamp will not be suffiecent for heat. A temperature can easily drop 10+ degrees in a house in one night which can kill a fish.

It is most likely not Swim Bladder disease if he stays at the bottom.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:54 AM   #4 
ellymay

Thanks for the help. I am going to get him a new tank and heater today and see if this helps! :)
ellymay is offline   Reply With Quote