Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #1 
Travito

A question about gravel cloudiness

I just set up a new 5 gallon for my new betta and I am using Flourite Black gravel since I have a couple live plants inside. I rinsed it reasonably well in warm water before putting it into my tank, however there still appears to be some cloudiness. The bag does say it can take anywhere from 2-12 hours before the cloudiness dissipates. The fish is not yet in the tank. So, my question is, should I have the filter running or not while I wait for the dust to settle? My thought is that the filter is just going to keep that same dust floating around, never letting it settle. I'm pretty new to this, so I'd like a more experienced opinion. Thanks!
Travito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

It is very common that gravel makes the tank water cloudy. Even when washed extremely well several times there is still likely to be a slight whitish haze in the water. I always run my filters at this stage, If there are any larger particles then the filter sponge/filter wool may trap them and the rest will settle in time. I generally find that running a filter clears the tank quicker.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
Travito

Thanks! Should I wait for the cloudiness to fully settle before putting my betta in?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Did you decide to cycle your tank or you going to do 50% and 100% water changes?
Also about plants do you trust the store you bought them from? A lot of people on the forum quarantine them before put them in the tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #5 
Travito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Did you decide to cycle your tank or you going to do 50% and 100% water changes?
Also about plants do you trust the store you bought them from? A lot of people on the forum quarantine them before put them in the tank.
Almost everything I've read about planted tanks says you don't need to do a nitrogen cycle since the plants immediately act as the bacteria that a cycle is meant to set up. Is that mostly correct?

As for the plants, they are from a local, reputable aquarium shop, not a large pet store like Petsmart, so I do trust them however I didn't even know quarantining plants was a thing until you mentioned it and I looked it up a little bit. I'm not too worried though, they look like good healthy plants, and I haven't noticed any snails or algae on them. Would it be too late to take the plants out and qt them? The fish isn't in there yet.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Sorry i really don't know. If something on the plants and i would think it already in the water so there is not reason to do that i guess unless you will not put fish in that water for a few more days or more. I don't think plants have parasites on it -it possible though. And usually parasites dies without host so if fish not there it will die. May be i am too paranoid.
Sorry don't know anything about cycling, never cycle any of my tanks. I did ask someone to look at your post though . I personally think that 5 gall better to go without cycling just with regular water changes. But it me.
Make sure filter not too strong for him, or you will need to baffle it up. Also you bought 25 w heater. I think you need 50w though. Not sure if 25 enough for 5 gallon tank?
Sorry i was not much help, just wait for other people help you with cycling.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #7 
Travito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Sorry i really don't know. If something on the plants and i would think it already in the water so there is not reason to do that i guess unless you will not put fish in that water for a few more days or more. I don't think plants have parasites on it -it possible though. And usually parasites dies without host so if fish not there it will die. May be i am too paranoid.
Sorry don't know anything about cycling, never cycle any of my tanks. I did ask someone to look at your post though . I personally think that 5 gall better to go without cycling just with regular water changes. But it me.
Make sure filter not too strong for him, or you will need to baffle it up. Also you bought 25 w heater. I think you need 50w though. Not sure if 25 enough for 5 gallon tank?
Sorry i was not much help, just wait for other people help you with cycling.
The 25W says it's good for 5.5 gallons. It's the Hagen Elite which I think many people here use. The store I purchased the plants from take very good care of all their fish and plants, they had a really nice, professional set up, and I've heard and read some great things about that place. I think the filter is good for him, as far as I can tell. It's a HOB/waterfall kind (is that right?) and on the lowest setting it is VERY low. It's a Marina Slim s10 if that helps.

Hopefully I was able to ease some of your paranoia! I appreciate how much you care, I really do. I tend to be kind of paranoid sometimes, and I guess I wasn't really with the plants so it was good to have someone keep me in check :P
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I think it's a good idea to cycle the tank, although a fish in cycle can be a little stressful and water parameters need to be watched closely until the cycle completes, it will eventually help you cut down on water changes and the plants will also help act as a filter and help with water quality.

A 25 watt is perfect. I have a 25 watt Hydor Theo in both my 5.5 gallons and it is good at keeping a steady temp even in 60 degree room temp. The Elite is highly recommended here as well by many members.

Edit: I've seen recommendations for that filter as well, but I've also heard it needs baffling for some bettas (depending on if they have very long fins or not) but not all.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 
DragonFish

I'm afraid I can't speak from experience in this area, I tend to kill just about any plant besides Java Fern and Anubias so I've stayed clear of NPTs myself, but I've also read that if you are planning on establishing a nice, heavily Naturally Planted tank you do not need to establish a nitrogen cycle with an actual filter. The plants, in a way, do the filtering for you.
If you haven't already, maybe take a read through this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575

I do thinkg most people with NPTs still run filters though, at least in larger tanks, and I've also heard that you'll go through sort of a silent cycle if you do with NPTs, as you won't really be able to detect much/any ammonia during the process because of the plants. Personally, I'd probably still run a filter as well if the tank was 5 gallons are larger just to be on the safe side, but if you're doing you research and you know what you want to do, go whichever way like.

If you go with a filter though....toss the cartridge and stuff it with some filter sponge instead. This will give you more surface area for Beneficial Bacteria, and sponge won't break down and need replacing like the floss on cartridges will. Plus, carbon can remove some good minerals and some plant fertilizers.

Do you have your test kit on hand? What sort of research on the Nitrogen cycle have you done(just so I know if any links I have on the subject might be helpful)?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote