Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #1 
Aluka

Possible ick?

I can't seem to get a picture, so i'll just describe it. I have a sorority in a cycled tank with 4 girls, about a week ago i decided to add two more girls to it. One of the new girls ended up with finrot and died in qt (she jumped onto a leaf that was above water and suffocated). The other new girl, i notice she has one singular white dot on her body. Its a solid white dot, attached to her, so its not part of her body.

Thinking she has early signs of ick, i qt'd her too. Its been two days, the dot has neither fell off (which ick is suppose to do to propagate). She hasn't gotten more on her either. She shows no signs of being sick, swimming around and eating and pooping.

Think she has ick or something else? Or am i just over reacting?
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #2 
DragonFyre14

It does sound like ick. I can't think of what else it could be. When my guppies had ick (I caught it right away) they didn't act much differently. I would suggest (if you haven't already) to raise the tank temp up a degree or two (if you can) and add some aquarium salt. It can't hurt your fish if it doesn't happen to be ick. Te AQ salt can help with most things. I would also like to point out that if one of your fish got ick chances are it is still in the main tank and the others could get it as well. Maybe try treating the whole tank just as a precaution.
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 
Aluka

the qt betta has 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt. i did a 50% water change when i realize it might have ick.

It has been two days, the other girls shows no signs of having ick, but the qt betta is neither losing his spot or gaining any. its why i am confused.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #4 
DragonFyre14

I believe it usually takes about a week for the ick to die completely but it usually drops off in a day or two. In not sure I can help as to why it is still there, but it doesn't sound like its too serious. I would say just continue to treat her for ick and just watch. Keep a close eye on the main tank as well since the ick can live in the gravel and such and simply lay dormant for a while (or so that is my understanding, I could be wrong)
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #5 
callistra

Ick cannot be killed while it's attached to the fish. It can only be eliminated during one specific point during its life cycle. Depending on the temperature of the water that lifecycle could last a month or longer. That's why when trying to treat with salt you need to up the temp of the tank to 85 - slowly one degree per hour to avoid shock and minimize stress. This will make the life cycle of ick about 2 weeks. Depending on where it's at in its life cycle during treatment will depend on how fast it takes to treat.. you might not see any results for 2 weeks. You also need to leave the bottom bare and do daily 100% water changes with a thorough rinsing of everything to eliminate free swimmers.

To avoid shock during large water changes take care to acclimate like this:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 01-02-2013 at 11:03 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #6 
Aluka

Today, i noticed spots on all the girls. So i removed all the girls, and qt them all individually and dose with 1tsp Aquarium salt/gallon. I understand that ick can only be killed during the free swiming stage of its cycle.

My question is, will the ick in my main tank die? There is no more fish in my main tank, only some ghost shrimp. Its a cycled and heavily planted tank. I dont really want to rinse everything and restart the cycle or dose it with salt (which will kill my plants).

If i do daily 50% water change on my main tank with no fish just ghost shrimps will the ick there die? Since there will be no fish to attack to?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #7 
Aluka

I also read that since all my fish is infected, i should just put them all back in the main tank and remove my plants and treat the whole tank. Would that be better for them?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #8 
DragonFyre14

It would probably be better to treat the whole tank. My guess is there is still some ick in the main tank and once you put healthy fish back in they are just going to be infected again. I don't know how easy it would be to move the plants so I'm not sure on that front.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #9 
Aluka

After some more reading, I have decided I will Go buy some API super ick cure and treat the whole tank.

For now, i am going to keep the girls qt, with 1tsp aquarium salt /gallon and the main tank empty of fish Until i can stop by petsmark on saturday and get the API super ick sure. I dont want to salt my whole tank, because my hornworts will die. So i'll just have to settle with using meds. =<

wish me luck!