Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Top cause of death in cup?

I bought two little females from Petsmart. I put them in an isolation tank; within 24 hrs one was dead; the other is OK, but I moved her into an established sorority tank. What causes such sudden death from the cup to the tank? I mean beyond careful acclimation to temp, water conditions, etc? I did everything "correctly".
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #2 
babystarz

I think the usual cause is the fish was already sick from the conditions at the pet store and the stress of being added to a new environment (even a much healthier one) is a shock to the system and the fish just can't take it at this point.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You moved everything around? Sorieties when established a newcomer will be harrised.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I think the usual cause is the fish was already sick from the conditions at the pet store and the stress of being added to a new environment (even a much healthier one) is a shock to the system and the fish just can't take it at this point.
Did I do the right thing by moving the other girl out?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
You moved everything around? Sorieties when established a newcomer will be harrised.
Yes; things are exciting. Gilly is now harrassing her sister Angel, but newcomer Marina, is standing her ground against Gilly. Angel is curious, but not getting involved. Gilly's color is in full form; no stress stripes. Marina, the newcomer, is an assertive fish! She is 1/3 the size of the other 2, and in the brightest shade possible. I'm cycling the 29 gallon as fast as possible!!! When can I put them in the bigger tank??!!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

With extra water and live plants now. Sorities need plenty of hiding spots.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
Xaltd1

Oh, I've designed so many! Caves, plants, rocks!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #8 
carbonxxkidd

I agree with the above, I think a lot of the fish are sick to begin with. I've had pretty good luck choosing healthy ones, but sometimes it's hit or miss. Fish in cups tend to have high ammonia levels too, from lack of water changes and overal poor conditions.

I just bought a new female tonight (well I guess yesterday now, lol). She is currently floating in my sorority tank for QT. I'm worried about her, I didn't notice this at the store but she is missing half of one pectoral fin. She's pretty skinny and has ignored all the food I've offered (frozen brine shrimp and blood worms, pellets). I hope she makes it, she's beautiful.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #9 
callistra

When I acclimate I transfer the betta along with some of the original "cup" water into a solo cup. I only fill this about 1/4 full. I float the cup in the new tank water. I also add a couple tablespoons of the new tank water into the cup every 10 minutes. I do this for an hour or longer. Sometimes I even reempty down the cup to 1/4 full and do it two or three times depending how different the ph is. Finally I get the betta out of the cup without getting any of the mucky water in the new tank water.

Exactly how slowly do you acclimate?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

What happens in the cup is a change in water chemistry. After they sit in that dirty water for long enough, it starts to become acidic and a couple other things happen to the water which I can't remember, but that water deals with ammonia differently. Once you put her in clean water, evenif you acclimate her, sometimes a bettas body can't adjust to the way the new water deals with ammonia.

Sorry this is so vague...It's based on something Oldfishlady told me...I can find the message and copy and paste it tomorrow if you want...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote