Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Ghost Shrimp & Cherry Shrimp question?

So I know ghost shrimp are feeders and they don't really survive unless they outgrow the betta and have some good hiding places. Are cherry shrimps in the same boat? I know they reproduce more and do ghost shrimps reproduce easily in a tank? I mean I plan to add some java moss and some shrimp but I was wondering which would be easier in a 10g with a single betta. Would the cherry shrimp reproduce like pond snails and run rampant or not?

Just some thoughts I had when looking at shrimp.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 
thePWNISHER

how big do amano shrimp get? I saw one that I swore was 3 inches at the LPS the other day.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #3 
Nexangelus

Ghost shrimp survival rates are entirely dependant on betta personality. From what I've read and experienced, the odds aren't great. They're cheap though, and a great test to see if you should make the investment in cherry shrimp, who are pretty similar in size, shape and longevity. As for reproduction, don't expect them to reproduce if there are other tank mates... The babies will get eaten almost immediately.

Amanos on the other hand... Are my all-time favorite tank mate. They get to be about 2 inches or so max and I've had absolutely no problems getting them to peacefully live with my bettas, presumably because of their size. They're not an ornamental shrimp, which means they live almost 3 times as long as the cherries and do an unreal job with algae and bottom feeding. If you have live plants of any sort, I'd say you're silly not to have these guys. Even without plants, I'd say they're a good investment. Personally, I would never have a tank without amanos. Not only do they look cool, but they have the highest cleaning capacity of any tank inhabitant I've ever kept.

Plus, they sometimes hitch rides on betta tails, which is absolutely hilarious. Oh, and they won't reproduce, since their larval form requires salt water until they're in a juvenile state. Weird, but true.
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Any type of shrimp except ghost shrimp can be hard to find so it's definitely worth trying a ghost shrimp or two to "test drive" your betta's willingness to share his home. The shrimp may end up being sacrificed to get the answer but at least you won't have spent a lot of money. Ghost shrimp are like $1.99, cherry and amano shrimp are about $4.99 or more, depending on your source. And lately Petco has been carrying bamboo shrimp which get about 3". I don't know how much those cost, though. And they don't ALWAYS carry them, either.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #5 
Nexangelus

Bamboo shrimp are "filter feeders" meaning they eat particles in the water generated by waste. They're lower maintenance, but still require a fair amount of waste to feed on. I've never kept them, but I can only assume a single fish would not produce enough to feed them. That's why they're always dead in pet stores... Most keep them in their own tank, which leads to starvation. :(
Old 07-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Leave it to Petco to sell something like that without properly educating the public on its care.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #7 
Nexangelus

I went to my first petco the other day... It smelled like ferret and had a terrible selection of bettas. They were all red or blue and the water they were in was disgusting. I'm glad I don't work there. We got dragons in where I work.

..Wait, that's off topic.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Yes it is but I have a magical way of leading everyone posting off topic without even meaning to.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 AM   #9 
masshiimarro

are amano shrimp hard to care for? i know some shrimps like crystal reds or bee shrimp are very delicate...
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #10 
thePWNISHER

amano shrimp are easy if you have algae showing in any from my research. I figured that if I have enough moss ground cover I would try ghost shrimp since at the petsmart and petco here they are 26cents a piece. Cherry shrimp are actually almost always stocked at my petsmart and they are only $1 on weekends and they are always sold out whenever I'm in checking on latest shipment. Amano's I dont see anywhere I will have to mail order one if I get to that point.