Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #51 
aemaki09

Oops!! Mushumouse -- i got you mixed up with Rangerserena for some of what I was typing. Disregaurd what doesnt apply. But most of what I said can be applie to you both!
Sorry about that!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #52 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, boy. The plastic cover things to protect the light bulbs from condensation touch the bulbs I have. I wonder if I can take them off? I don't think OFL recommends them anyways, but wouldn't the bulbs getting all wet from condensation be a problem? 0_0

I still need to get a pic of the lightbulbs I found to see if you think they're alright :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #53 
aemaki09

I don't know about removing the guards, I dont imagine it being a problem, I tend to get water all over my lights during wc's. Good question though. I am sure whatever you got is just fine to use! But maybe next time look for a tube light they don't seem to be so wide.

Maybe ask OFL?

Finding good lights is so much work! Lol gets rediculous! From now on whenever I find a good one I'm just going to buy out the entire stock! Lol
I actually need to get 4 more for my mini bows, but spent all my money on AB bettas so it'll have to wait
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #54 
AyalaCookiejar

The lights are the spirally ones, lol.

They were the only 10watt 6500k ones I saw. There were no other 10watt or 6500k ones. (Also the only box that had the k rating on the front instead of in tiny letters on the back.) I looked for ones shaped like the bulbs in the tank but didn't find any. My Walmart also sucks, though, lol. The new lightbulbs aren't too much wider than the old ones, but apparently they are still too wide and the guard things don't even cover the entire bulb, either. The ends of both types if bulbs (the new and old ones) stick out of the end of the guard. I need to get pictures of the box the new bulbs came in and pictures of the tank hood because I just don't know how to explain it. :p
Old 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #55 
5150wicd4fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
4 watts over a 20 gallon tank? Thats veryyyy low. The 2 watt per gallon rule is a good rule to follow, but if you get t-5 or t-8 you could get away with using like 1watt/gallon. --this is strip lighting. you want your lighting to be a full spectrum 6500k. 5000-10000k works, 6500 is most preferred.
Hi, I'm a little confused as I thought the LED "Day" light was good, I bought another strip yesterday and its still pretty bright, and box says compares toT-8, but doesn't actually say amount of lumens, so I've been trying to google it for aqueon modular LED and not giving too much info...anyway I also bought some
API First Layer Pure Laterite??
Anyone have any good reports about that?? Gonna rinse repeatedly and give it a shot, and layer with my bb sand I have in tank now..
Thanks for any feedback...:D
5150wicd4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #56 
rangerserena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
the amount of plants is something I'd check with oldfishlady about. the largest tank I have right now is a 26. I have about 6 different bunches of different species stem plants and like 6 rooted plants and it doesnt look very dense at all, so double or more?
you need to get 2 watts per gallon, so 100w total, minimum, rated for 6500k in spectrum. you can get away with 5000-10000k, but 6500 is the most benificial to plant growth.
I checked my local home depot all i can find is a 20 watt 6500k bulb for my hood. My hood is old so i think it will only fit those long slim florencent tube bulbs
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #57 
AyalaCookiejar

I have an old hood, too. Where do you get the Flourish for the plants?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #58 
aemaki09

I got it at petsmart.

Its in their medications aisle. Made by seachem
Its a white bottle with green leaves on it
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #59 
rangerserena

http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...37&view=detail

http://m.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-2-f...52B/203124382/

these are the only. 2 bulbs I can find that meet the 6500
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #60 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerserena View Post
I suggest the one at home depot, but both would work just fine!