Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 
Bluewind

I know they can be a handful, but could you hold off on euthanizing everything in your tank for a bit to see if you can find someone who wants them? Just use word of mouth? The healthy ones could still end up in a good home with someone who would really love to have them.

I gave my Neons away to a woman for her grandaughter. Just ran into her at walmart and asked her if she wanted them. I ran into her later and she said the little girl was in awe of them and dotes over her fishies. It was worth taking the time to rehome them
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #12 
Shepaski

ahhh, I'm not sure rehoming my fish is a good idea at the moment.

the only people i know who actually have the knowledge of taking care of fish are somewhat like me, and they already have plenty of fish in their own tanks. we're not as "hard core" as the people here, as in we keep bettas but we don't go to what we consider as "such lengths" as to get a heater and measure the pH levels and what not ^^;;; at most we get a large enough tank with room for them to swim and plenty of places to hide.

the fish forums over here are not as active as this global one, and i'm not too sure how other owners are like beyond my group of friends. So i don't think i will be as successful. Chances are my pets are going to end up with an owner thats just like me.
So i'm just seeing what i can do to improve my fishes lives a bit more. only one 2 in my stock are sick, the rest still look and act healthy and i've kept them alive this long so might as well see how i can improve in being a better keeper.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

.... You kept a male betta with females. That was asking for trouble already, especially since he was not mellow enough. He probably was the reason she got hurt. I've been told once my giant is old and lazy to place him in a sorority but I still would not trust him x) She probably did have her face torn off. And now is infected, and yes everyone else will die.

If you need to, euthanise. Ice water, drop them in. Shock kills them. Smash them with a hammer (in a bag to avoid mess). Or clove oil.

Or like they said, see if someone wants them.

Right now, if you wanted to keep them and try, remove them all to separate containers. 1 gallon would even suffice right now... Place in the warmest room in your house away from drafty doors windows and hallways.

To me it looks like columnaris is going to kick in.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-03-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #14 
SolomonFinch

Hardcore?
You mean like, metal or punk, right?
Surely taking care of a pet, or expressing an interest in its health isn't "hardcore".
You Can Easily Judge the Character of a Man by How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing for Him
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #15 
SolomonFinch

Says the person who just had a fish "disappear" on her.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Before you euthanize her, quarentine her and give her the cleanest water possible with a anti fungal.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok, buying a heater is providing a necessity for life, not a "great length".
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #18 
Bluewind

I kind of take a little offense to that. My fish is one of my pets. I also have a dog and a cat. They get fed good food, shots, a vet visit if they get sick, ocasional treats, and affection. I also make sure that they don't get too cold or get put in dangerous situations. It doesn't make me a "hardcore" fish person if I care for my fish as well as my dog and cat. It makes me a normal pet owner.

And please look at if from our point of view. We have a person with a sick or injured fish. We try to help, but then are told that the owner doesn't want to save the fish and in fact waiting on them all to die so he/she can replace them and would in fact euthanize all the fish in the tank to accomplish this. We also find out that the owner has not provided a healthy environment for his fish and does not plan on providing good care. It is just about the same as finding out someone has a dog in a little pen in the back yard that they occally throw food in & are planning on euthanizing the dog to buy a new one.

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #19 
Shepaski

when it comes to fish there are those who really take care of them as pets and those who don't.
those who don't are usually people who don't understand that fish are the same as any other animal, just because they cannot feel the same affection they would get from any other pet. So they do not see a point in actually getting stuff like heaters and checking the water pH and because there's no actual vet for a fish some, like me, don't bother to find a solution to cure their fish. I use the term "Hardcore" with quoting, because in the eyes of such a person, going through all the basics listed here on the forums that you need to keep you betta happy is something i don't understand because i have yet to open my eyes to the fact that fish are not just décor, but actual animals.
To those who were like me, a large enough tank and proper filtration was good enough.

i am one of the few who didn't treat her fish like how i would with any other animal because my eyes were not open, and i admit that i use to see my fish as more of décor then actually being a pet. A novelty to look at at the side of your table.

but now, because of this, I now see beyond my ignorant mindset and i'm trying to change, that's why i am here. to find out what i've been doing wrong and correcting what i can.
i really don't think i can save this fish (her name is Tiny) with my current experience so instead of just letting this slip by like i always have, i'm at least coming here find out things that i need to find out and try and maintain my current fishes.
I dont come here to offend or to spite anyone because i'm stupid and a complete idiot.
i'm just here to learn and obtain info from people who actually take care of their fish.

Sorry if i offended anyone, but really. half the things listed in the general betta care and FAQ, never ever crossed my mind as necessary until now

Last edited by Shepaski; 01-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #20 
Bluewind

I'm sorry if I came off harsh, but I'm glad you want to try to start seeing them as pets instead of decor. It's a good start

I would personally get rid of the tetra as they are schooling and so few can become violent and attack others or fin nip. The otos and corys are good for cleaning. Are they healthy? How many are there? Do they still have their barbles? I don't know much about the other, so someone else will have to cover that.

When you decide to get a new betta (or if you decide to save one you already have), you can make some inexpensive changes that will make them more happy and healthy.

First thing is get a heater. Tropical fish need warm water to stay healthy. Next, if you can ditch the flakes and feed your betta pellets, you will cut down on leftovers in your tank. Finally, water changes. As many as you have now, you would have to do a lot of pwc a week to keep amonia down (toxic to fish!), but 20% perweek will work when you have 1 betta
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-03-2013 at 12:09 PM.