Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #51 
Phaydra

Eatmice you need to calm down. It's the native fish and other aquatic animals in the area that need to be thought about here. That many fish in one small tank there is bound to be disease and you just suggested releasing that into a native population. Considering the female had a big chunk of her head missing I believe it's for the best she was put down. It's not about your feelings, my feelings, Sena feelings or the OPs feelings. It's about an animal that was in an extreme amount of pain and the futures lives of native animals.

Shepaski I am glad you decided to take responsibility and actions to correct this situation. I want to say welcome to the forums. I hope that you continue to think of the comfort of your fish and find a larger container to keep them in. Doesn't have to be a glass tank. A large plastic container or bowl would work as well.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #52 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sena is 100% right about not releasing fish into the wild . Look at Florida with all the Burmese pythons released into the wild because stupid people didn't do their research on how to take care of them. Now the Florida wildlife people are trying to get rid of them because they are having an effect on the ecosystem.
Bettas out to kill dogs and birds? Uh, what?
Also, many people euthanize fish because they don't want them to suffer. There is nothing wrong with it. Let's stop arguing please and get back on topic.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #53 
Sena Hansler

I use plastic containers to quarantine, and plus they are a lot cheaper than your average glass tank.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #54 
eatmice2010

ok i have a life and i dont just care about fish which are also living animals, but thats your problem you apperntly dont care to smash them with a hammer ( could have deleted it from the list ) and yes i understand that he used a different way- which i am happy it wasnt as grusome.

And for the dumping part i completely understand about all that so i wont suggest it as an alterantive.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #55 
Sena Hansler

How come you don't care about fish... And are on a fish forum?

Oh, by the way... Smashiing with a hammer, I hate it. I used it once, and I hated it. That is why I push pass my extreme allergy of clove oil, to make it less painful on myself (visual person, it sticks in my mind for a good long time) and make it seem more peaceful, even if the method takes more time. I post it, as I won't be one of the people who says... "There is ONLY clove oil and if you use any other way you are a bad person" because there are people on this forum who do freeze, insta-freeze, or smash with a hammer.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #56 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a half gallon container that I use as a sort of *hospice* tank for fish that I know aren't going to make it. I don't euthanize mine because I'm afraid I'd make things worse for the fish. There are different ways to euthanize fish, Eatmice. It's up to the hobbyist as to what method they want to use, if any. I'm not overly fond of smashing fish, either but you have to use the method that's right for you or like me, choose to let them die on their own.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #57 
Sena Hansler

Some people feed them to bigger fish which that right there I won't recommend. I'd imagine it to be terrifying... For the betta, stressful and not so... Painless. Plus Aquarium Central guy fed a sick fish to another fish.. Too bad he did not know she had columnaris!! That's a much worse "euthanasia" method. Blech.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #58 
eatmice2010

i said i dont just care about fish, i didnt said i didnt care about fish, i completely understand what your saying and ive also seen some poor animals get smashed, "but not on purpose", so it erked to hear that and i am sorry i should of have not posted without listening to your side and for suggesting dumping.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #59 
Sena Hansler

Ahh okay it read like "I just don't care about fish" as in you just.. Don't care.

Animals smashed "not on purpose"?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #60 
eatmice2010

ohhh when i was about ten me and my brother were playing some kittens in our room , he went to clime on to our bunk bed and knocked over our tv and it landed on two of the kittens in front of me and i ended up going to a therapist because it devistated me