Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Question 10 gallon filter for 10 gallon sorority?

Aquatech (marineland sub I think) 5-15 power filter with a bio filter?
Sufficient? thanks!
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 
registereduser

I like more power, I'd get the 20 gallon filter for a 10 gallon tank.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #4 
Neight

A good 20-30 gal filter for a 10G is the Aquaclear 30! Great capacity.
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #5 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I like more power, I'd get the 20 gallon filter for a 10 gallon tank.
that's what i was gonna say...a behaviorally stable sorority requires bigger numbers of fish, so getting a filter that's more powerful that the tank really "needs" will allow you to stock it more heavily and prevent excessive aggression.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 
SolomonFinch

Are 5 bettas enough for a beahviorally stable soroity? thats what I have now, and it appears peaceful, but they are young.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
Are 5 bettas enough for a beahviorally stable soroity? thats what I have now, and it appears peaceful, but they are young.
five should work all right, generally the minimum is four girls. if one or two of yours starts beating up on the others, you make need to separate them. we used to have a 10 gallon, 5 girl sorority, but we've since upgraded to 10 girls in a 20 gallon planted tank, and it's amazing how nice it works and looks. if you can afford the upgrade, i would highly recommend it!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

I have an Aqueon 10 which is good p to 20 gallons. Instead of the cartridges, I stuff it with foam for a aquaclear filter.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #9 
SolomonFinch

Ok, great points....what ARE those foam filters? I have seen them in Utube videos and at a local shop whose aquarium I stop to admire whenever I have a chance.
I did have 7 betta girls, one totally flipped and attacked the others, the other other just stress striped from heck. I have them both together now, stress stripe seems to have mellowed, but Shark girl (LOL) is getting a new home in my teen daughters room. I am going to try the less mellow gal again, after following some suggestions I read here about adding to a sorority. But a 20 gallon tank is defiantly a purchase in 6 months, when my orandas will need a 10 gallon handy on the awful chance they will need a hospital tank.
Thanks guys! All info appreciated :)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Foam filters? Do you mean sponge filters?
Do they look like this?

It's an air driven filter - and is supposed to be very good for biological filtration and some mechanical filtration. I "think" they work by the air displacing the water and that causes a vaccume in that tube thing that forces water through the sponge? Alot of people use them with fish fry and they do not have the strong current produced by power filters.

The foam I was talking about is this:

it is made for the Aqua clear filters, but I use it in my aqueon filters in place of the cartridges. I stuff in inside my filters. Most places will say to replace then cartridge after a month BUT then you are also throwing out all the bacteria you WANT to keep. You can either swish the cartridge in old tank water when you do a water change to wash away the junk but after a few months, the filter floss (which is what the cartrdges are made of) tends to fall apart. However, the Aquaclear foam will last for a LONG time. it will do both mechanical and biloigical filtration but not chemical (which is what the carbon in the cartridges is for). In My opinion, you don't really need chemical filtration unless you are trying to remove medication rom the water or the water has an odor. Carbon only lasts for about a month so it's a bit pricy after a while. I only use carbon reguarly in a tank with alot of snails because the water gets smelly in like a day if I don't.

I have my girls in a 20 gallon but started them out in a 10G.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote