Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #11 
geek9110

I'm relatively inexperienced, so perhaps this isn't quite right, but I would still think that with a heater it would be concerning. My house is normally high 60s, low 70s and I have a 30 gallon community tank and a 3 gallon betta tank. The temperature easily stays around 78 in both. My family went on a trip for a few days last month and when we got back the house was in the 50s. Both tank temperatures dropped from high 70s to, well, the 30 gallon temperature sticker on the side didn't even register a temperature because it was so low, and my betta tank was like 68 or 70 (I have a regular thermometer for that one). I even lost a platy a couple days later because he couldn't handle the change. Amazingly, my betta, sick with severe fin rot survived it and is still hanging in there!

My dad has a tank in the basement too. He is always struggling to get the temperature into the high 70s. Either we have crappy heaters, or the heaters just can't handle such drastic outside temperatures. If you have a pond outside, it can get much colder than our basement!
geek9110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Even tropical areas get temp drops at night. Lol. But it doesn't really get that low. . . anyway, IMO it's not really about the amount of gallons but rather the space/area. A tall 50g can't house 2 breeders but a shallow and long 50g might if there are lots of plants and the shape of the pond can hide the two breeders (mainly the males).

If the two males breed at about the same time, they shouldn't prey on fry. Not sure about the females though since breeding females are often known to eat fry. This is where the plants help hide them. At least few will survive to adult. (not considering temp)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The Males would scare the Females away.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #14 
aemaki09

This is a really interesting conversation!!
Definitely puts your mind to work..

Like I believe choclate said, a betta's natural territory is about 3'x3', I'm too sick with the flu to feel like converting that to gallons, but I'd say that as long as you have like 1-2" in depth and had a lot of plants you could easily have a 8x8 pond with some twists and turns with a few males in it
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know some males will try to expand. Some Bettas will have bigger or smaller depending on area. I think the major probablem would be protecting the Betta.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #16 
anthonyt20

It could be done :)
Im at the moment working on a design for something just like this
But there are also these
http://www.tractorsupply.com/rubberm...pacity-2229935
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...1000-w-2170534
this one is prob more in my price range once i get to work
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tuff-st...0-gal--2229862
They seem like good alternatives to glass tanks as they are cheaper and are better insulated and of course have allot more space for the betta and fry.
Just thought I would say that I am not affiliated with any website lol, Its just stuff I come by when I'm researching.

Last edited by anthonyt20; 01-05-2013 at 07:54 AM.
anthonyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I doubt the second tub would work. It's big but in terms of space, it's not much (for multiple males). In my 50g (120cm/47" long) the male scouts the whole tank. But who know, maybe with lots of plants it might work. The first tub (over 3m long) seems more feasible.

The tub/pond doesn't have to be deep. 30cm/-12" deep filled to 20cm/-8" is more than enough. Oh keep in mind that you guys are in a 4 season area so you need a way to heat the whole length of the pond.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also put netting over it to protect them.

Tags
betta, breeding, natural, pond