Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #1 
jacknsally

Question 1/8 inch acrylic too thin?

Hello! I am new here but not new to having fish (lots of bettas, Cichlid tank, Angle fish tank, African dwarf frogs) I want to make a custom fish tank for this hole in the wall I have. (I have been told it was for phones back in the day so that you can get the phone from the kitchen or the living room) Since it is an outdated feature, I thought a pretty betta tank would be perfect!

I think I want to make a custom one as to fit the square nicely, probably 12x12. I have been looking and looking for glass or acrylic and have decided on acrylic as it is cheaper and easier to find and work with. At Lowes and Home Depo they have sheets that are big enough, but only seem to come in 1/8 inch thick. Now I know that it is thin, but it wont be a big tank with that much water (I think it will be about 7 gal) Anyone have any suggestions? Also how do you lovely people think about getting colored glass from like Hobby Lobby and making the sides out of it? (I am afraid what the glass is made with will kill the fish, but who knows.) Thank you!
jacknsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 
DiiQue

Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't think 1/8inch is thick enough for that size tank. I have an Aqueon Evolve 8, which is almost that capacity in gallons and the thing weighs a ton with the water in. I know the acrylic on that is much thicker...

Dont know if it would be cheaper in the long run to get a ready made tank to slide in there. If the dimensions are 12x12, then this tank should work fine:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...3&child=AZ1133
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #3 
aemaki09

I think 1/8th will be too thin as well.
Why not check online to see if you can find it thicker anywhere?

As for colored glass I think it would be an aweseome idea, but I really dont know about what chemicals they use to make it and if they can seep out. I'd definitely do some research though! You have an awesome idea going!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote