Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

First Planted Tank

I have a few questions about my 10 gallon planted tank so here it is from a newbie.

First off I only have Java Fern and a moss ball right now, what are some other great begginer plants so I can hunt them down? Also I have gravel so keep that in mind and an iridescent light and a snail.

Also is this fertilizer good? Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food, it's liquid.

How do you tie the plant onto driftwood. I was told cotton string but at what part of the plant do I tie so I don't kill it?

How long does it take for the plants to start filling out?

What can I do to help them grow faster and stronger?

I also have a clipping from the plant that has roots. What should I do to make sure it grows into another java fern?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #2 
aqua001

I have amazon swords, duckweed, and water wisteria. You can just tie the roots on the driftwood, I use fishing line. I've had my plants for a few months and they have filled about half the 10 gallon tank. I don't use ferts, BTW. You could try fertilizer to help them grow faster.

Hope I helped!
aqua001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I haven't seen amazon sword tail though I hear it's great. Where did you find yours? Or would places like petco and petsmart sell it under another name because...you know they like to seem trendy like that and misslable things. Does your duckweed over run the tank or is it fairly easy to keep under control?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would not reccomend swords they need high Iron. Anuibus and Java moss are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

my water has high iron, it's well water. Java moss I hear is a big no as it overtakes an aquarium easily and is a pain to keep down. Anuibus grows very slowly so it shouldn't be your main plant.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Java moss isnt that bad. There are a few other moss types. There are a few species. My Anuibus var Berteria Nana looks great.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

How long did it take your anuibus to fill out? Did you use fertilizer? How long does it take for plants to fill out without fertilizer vs with it? Is it easier to grow the plant in a separate tank and then move it into the fish tank or let it grow in the fish tank? My Java is pretty tiny right now. The main plant is about three leaves give or take (may be a baby budding not sure yet) and the new plantlet is one leaf with roots coming in and a tiny second bud coming through. Also my Java fern seems to be flopping to one side so should I secure it at two points to make sure it grows straight? One side is heavier than the other forcing the whole plant lopsided. One side has a massive leaf and the other two much smaller ones, the massive leaf seems to pull the other two over a LOT.

Also water Wisteria, can you leave it free floating or does it look nicer planted to driftwood? I noticed it's rather tall which is nice, something I may grow in the back for height. I want the back half mostly covered to hide the filter and heater, other than wisteria what is a tall growing plant I can add to the back. Was also thinking lucky bamboo but I would have to exile the tank cover and with a snail I don't feel comfortable without a cover on the tank. Not sure if I could find one that would fit under the lid either and allow the top half to be out of water :/

Also to note this tank is full out Asian themed. I am going very Indian temple overtaken by the wild jungle look. Bits of pale rock sticking out with vegetation growing over and around it and a few beaten up statues. Also addd 2 agets worth $50 each my uncle found long ago. Their color pops more underwater than displayed dry. So far they seem to provide beautiful contrast against the black gravel I got. I can't wait for my plants to fill in so my tank doesn't look so empty T.T
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I bought mine doing well. Its roots are growing off the rock into the sand. It has plenty of leaves. I am about to add a CO2 injector. I have used many ferts.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #9 
LadyVictorian

By the way would swords remove iron from water if I added them?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know there roots are used so maybe some sustrate ferts.