Betta Fish Forum banner

Another ADF

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  charlie1881 
#1 ·
So I am plotting 1O Gallon for Aquarius and Bilbo THOUGH if I get a ten gallon for them then I want another ADF for Bibo, thinking of getting another male and naming him Frodo Froggins. However I need to do a 3 month qt on the other adf before eh can ever go live with the other two boys. Now my question is, how do I go about picking up another adf that I know will get along with an adf and betta? Some adf are aggressive and since Bilbo is tiny I don't want him or Aquarius getting attacked by a second adf. I mostly want to do it because Bilbo needs a buddy of his own race, I caught him trying to hug Aquarius this morning, it was cute and funny but Aquarius would have none of it xD.

#4 ·
I'd put the frog into a bowl right next to the tank and see how he reacts to his neighbors when they swim close...or float him in the tank in a bowl for a few days, that way you arent cross contaminating but you can see if he looks like he might be aggressive towards your boys.
If he looks like he could be, trade him in for a different one and keep trying this.
--My best suggestion on it. I dont have ADF's yet, so I'm not sure how exactly to judge if they'd be aggressive or not, so I'm leaving that up to you unless someone else gives better advice

#5 ·
That seems legit, and since I hand feed my adf I am guessing food aggression shouldn't ever be a problem. I did worry a little about it though since my frog has a fun enough time pushing the fish away from his worms when I try to feed him. Aquarius thinks he is sneaky by creeping up behind him to take the bloodworms or shrimp when I feed my Froggins. He would be sneaky if I wasn't watching him and if Bilbo didn't know he was there.

#8 ·
Yeah, I dont really know any other way that would make sense to do. but that'd get everyone used to each other as well as QT'ing so when you finally do at the new frog it will be like he's been in there the whole time.
Also,
I've really been interested in getting an ADF for a long time, but they seem like a lot of work. Do you absolutely have to hand feed them? Like say I got a 10 gallon tank just for ADF's, would they be okay if I added some blood worms in? Or would I still need to hand feed?

#7 ·
Oh trust me I know, you can't even be safe when netting adf's they will slip right out of the net and make you chase them around the room. Bilbo when I had to clean his sick tank every day, once he got better would jump out of the tank when I tried to net him and move him into his cup.

#9 ·
If it was only ADF's handfeedign isn't nessisary. But watch when they eat to make sure all frogs get enough food. Some will be greedy pigs and try to eat everything. Only reason for hand feeding is when they live with fish since adf's are not known for their speed.

#12 ·
Hey Y'all ,
I have ADF's in a community tank and have a couple slabs of slate rock on the floor of the tank to give them a clean surface like a plate to eat from , you need this to help the frogs find the food easy and not eat any substrate on accident , this will cause a blockage and death for the froger :-( and ya dont want that i know .
I have had 2 frick and frack forever they are a mated pair ( purely accidental ) didnt know how to sex them when I got them . And after reading more on them I have tried to add more frogs to the tank to help them feel more comfortable but everytime I add frogs they die :oops::-? . I blamed it on starvation but I made sure they each got a share of dinner ( froozenbloodworms , thawed first, and pre soaked tadpole pellets ) . but they still died .
They would live a week or 2 then started to die one daily ....But the 2 original's are fine so I ruled out sickness . I am thinking either my placo a bristlenose I witnessed attack one small frog and the 2 originals prolly killed the new frogs .
I noticed at feedings that the ADF's are aggressive to each other , bitting fiercly and kicking each other . I dont know or understand it as its said they like to be in groups of 8 or more ... tanks big to not a size issue so what gives ...
Sory for the extra long post that vered off topic ..lol just sharing some stuff about the ADF's , to the original question I was responding to about hande feeding , you need a good solide surface for them to eat for best results for them such as a flat rock or flower pot piece or so on they have trouble finding the food in gravel and eat sand on accident so its hard . Alot of people have both gravel and sand and frogs do fine with both so its up to you , hand feed in a community tank to insure the frogs get food as the fish will eat it b4 they find it , okay I'm done now lol sory agin :p hope this novel of a thread helped some lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.