Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #1 
SomethingWitty

Chunk missing from bottom lip...

My poor guy can't catch a break.
I'm battling pretty bad fin rot with my Betta (Murphy) already.
Just now I noticed there is a chunk missing from his bottom lip.
What could this be?
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #2 
callistra

More bacterial rot: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124404

What are you using to treat? Is he in epsoms now? How much? How are you doing water changes now? Be looking for Seachem Kanaplex, but don't dose until you reply
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #3 
SomethingWitty

I've been doing what we discussed in the other thread, although I haven't ordered anything online from the websites you suggested yet.
I've done 100% water changes twice since we spoke, he has a heater now, I bought a water conditioner and some stress coat.
I don't have him in epsom? I guess I missed that... His fins have became much more tattered.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #4 
SomethingWitty

Here is a picture of his current condition.
He also has a lump on each side of his belly...
Sorry for the large pictures, I'm doing this from my un-smart phone.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #5 
SomethingWitty

I really am worried! I want to help him, and my 3 year old loves him! She's the one that named him :(
His belly was not this big yesterday and he wasn't missing part of his lip this morning.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #6 
callistra

I didn't suggest meds.. I said get a water conditioner.. are you still not using a conditioner for his water? This is lethal.

In the meantime do epsom salts as a detox and get that conditioner. You should be able to find something locally.. and switch later to something online if you dont' like what you can get locally.

Quote:
Any liquid conditioner that says it will remove chlorine , chloramines and heavy metals will do (don't get anything that says marine on it - that's for a salt tank). Personally, I like Prime best. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...3974/3977?s=ts
Quote:
His fin rot isn't bad and should clear up with clean water and time. If it keeps getting worse you may have to treat.. also with that balding I've recently seen that clear up with epsom salts.. very safe to use so long as you follow directions. They need to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no other additives, fragrances or dyes of any kind per the ingredients label. You need to predissolve 1 tsp per gallon in a little cup with some of his tank water. Then pour it very slowly over the course of an hour into his tank. Slow is important because it can cause a drop in ph. The epsom salts will not need to be redosed until you do your next water change because they will not evaporate or leave the tank by any means unless you actually take them out by replacing the water. Couple weeks on the epsoms might help his head clear up and also with the mild rot.
At this point I think he needs meds along with the epsoms.. especially if he's got face rot.. Look for Kanaplex by seachem, Maracyn Plus by Mardel or Furan 2 by API.

Last edited by callistra; 01-05-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #7 
SomethingWitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingWitty View Post
I've been doing what we discussed in the other thread, although I haven't ordered anything online from the websites you suggested yet.
I've done 100% water changes twice since we spoke, he has a heater now, bought a water conditioner and some stress coat.
I don't have him in epsom? I guess I missed that... His fins have became much more tattered.
No where in this post did I say I was giving him meds. Infact, I clearly stated that I bought water conditioner.

Last edited by SomethingWitty; 01-05-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #8 
callistra

Sorry it's 3 am here..

I would do epsoms and antibiotics for the face rot. Keeping water clean is really important now too.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #9 
SomethingWitty

Thank you for your help!
It's 3am here too, and I see that you post a lot so it's okay I understand!
Sorry for being kinda blunt.
:)
Are epsoms and antibiotics available at PetSmart? If not, where?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #10 
callistra

You're very welcome :) Hope he feels better soon.

Petsmart should have API Furan 2 which may help but I'd try to get Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus - you'll have to call around.

Epsom salts can be found at pharmacies and pharmacy sections of grocery stores. I know CVS Pharmacy has some.