Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Arrow Injured Pectoral Fin

Hello! I adopted Sushi over a month ago and have been treating him for fin/tail rot, very mild case of ick and fin repair. He is always active and wiggles around like no tomorrow. I didn't notice it at first but Sushi's right pectoral fin seems to be clamped. He uses it and swims fine, but I would love to know why his fin is that way. None of my treatments seem to help it unfold to its full form and it also kind of hangs down. Any info would be appreciated! :D

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 72-75
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Soon to be
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Sat 100% and Wed 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat w/ water conditioner, Maracyn Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? has been healing and gaining color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no change
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Been treating him eversince I got him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Adopted him when he was sick
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8-9 months
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #2 
babystarz

My guess would be either your water is really hard (which can cause fin deformation) or ammonia. I would suggest trying out 3 water changes per week at 50%, and add Seachem's Prime to the Stress Coat as a water conditioner. If you use the Prime with every water change, your ammonia level will not be an issue. If Sushi does not improve, look into other possibilities and get your water tested for hardness.

And don't worry too much, pectoral fins are the least necessary fins on bettas and some never develop them at all and manage to live full and healthy lives. Not that you shouldn't treat this, mind you, but I doubt Sushi is in much pain or having trouble swimming, if it's any comfort.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #3 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

He has had this problem since I got him I believe and I thought it was due to fin rot but he always uses it and swims fine. His breathing is also normal. Honestly I have less than $10 to my name so I can't get him anything else. :l
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiRainbowMuffin View Post
He has had this problem since I got him I believe and I thought it was due to fin rot but he always uses it and swims fine. His breathing is also normal. Honestly I have less than $10 to my name so I can't get him anything else. :l
Oh alright! In that case it may very well be an old injury that didn't heal right, probably due to the poor conditions he was kept in. I'm sure he's adapted to it by now and probably doesn't even notice it
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #5 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah I figured it was an old injury I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making it worse :) thanks!

Tags
illness, noob help, pectoral fin