Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1 
Joe Sizzle

Please Read.

Hey I am new to the forum so I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong section but I had an urgent question. I got a Betta about a week ago and got a 2.6 gallon aquarium with a heater and filter. My fish was fine for a few days but today I decided to make an LED light for the aquarium so I can see him better but the lights are on the top of the hood not inside just in case that detail matters. I also got him the leaf decoration on a suction cup so that he can lay on it and I put it near the top of the water where he normally just sits. I added the leaf and the lights at the same time and ever since he has been swimming around the leaf non stop all evening and I don't know why! Is something wrong with him? Please help and please forgive me if this is not the right place for this post. Thank you!
Joe Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #2 
Kithy

Welcome to the forums :D

He could just be very interested in it, bettas are so very curious about their environment. If it's the leaf I think it is I believe you need to remove the metal from it first as it can rust. If the lights are too bright it might bug him but I've never heard of bettas being sensitive to light, not like nocturnal fish.

Does he have adequate cover, like plants, decor, a cave, etc?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 
emeraldmaster

I might place this in the emergency section but this is a good spot too. you are alright there. As for the leaf hammok, there is a metal piece in the area where the leaf connects to the suction cup. Remove the leaf from the suction cup and remove the metal piece. The other two pieces should go back together. Metal is generaly bad. As for the light, i really know little about what you're doint but it sounds cool! i hope that i helped!
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #4 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I wouldn't be too concerned about your boy, bettas are naturally very curious and it is likely that he is just checking everything out. Maybe if he hasn't had a light on him before it is confusing him a little? If so just turn it on for short periods at first until he gets used to it. Goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #5 
Joe Sizzle

The pet store I got him from did keep him in a dark corner so that might be it and I do see the tiny metal piece but it might be hard to get out. Why would they sell this if it is unsafe? Will it run the decoration if I pull the metal out?

And yes he has a few plants but I could not find silk around here so I just made sure they were smooth plants with no points on them. However, I think I may order some silk off petco.

I am thinking he may just see his reflection since he his swimming against the wall as he does this but I am not sure.

Last edited by Joe Sizzle; 01-03-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sizzle View Post
The pet store I got him from did keep him in a dark corner so that might be it and I do see the tiny metal piece but it might be hard to get out. Why would they sell this if it is unsafe? Will it run the decoration if I pull the metal out?
Unfortunately lots of pet stores will sell you things that you don't need, aren't good for your fish or just bad in general. They may care for the fish to a degree but they care more about your money. Local fish stores are sometimes the exception to this rule but Petco/Petsmart like your money. So even some decor that might be labeled safe for bettas isn't. Things like plastic plants or sharp edges on decor can rip your bettas fins and cause an infection like fin rot.

I recommend that you do the panty hose test on any decor you place in your tank. If it snags on panty hose it will tear your fish's fins. You can file it down or replace it from there.

As for the leaf, I believe some have said they use tools to pull the metal out and stick the leaf back in. I don't have one of those though. I broke a "branch" off my silk plant and duct taped the stem outside the tank so it rests near the top.

Fear not, you're in the right place for any betta questions :D This is a great website!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #7 
Kithy

Petco has amazing silk plants. I bought all mine online, it's usually cheaper and anything over 49$ gets free shipping.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #8 
babystarz

It's true, unfortunately many products marketed specifically for bettas at pet stores are actually harmful to them. For example, never treat your betta with Bettafix. It contains tea tree oil, which can coat the labyrinth organ (lung) that bettas use to breathe air and suffocate them. And those tiny betta tanks they sell? Those are torturous to bettas.

Also buy a high quality food with meat in it (bettas are carnivorous and require meat protein in all of the first 4 ingredients for optimal nutrition). New Life Spectrum Betta pellets are considered the best food and they're sold at Petco. Most other foods marketed for bettas have wheat or gluten as a main ingredient, which is just a filler with no nutritional value for bettas.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #9 
Joe Sizzle

Ok well I will remove the metal piece and hopefully he will be fine. I was just worried since he behavior changed so quickly! Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #10 
Friendlyfishies

sounds as though hes a curious fella! I love watching mine investigate new objects in his tank....so smart!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote