Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #1 
acadialover

Betta kil shrimp ?

I recently put together a 5 gallon soil planted tank. It was recommended to get several shrimp . I got about 4 and my new Betta, and tons of plants.
I have a feeling my betta ate the shrimp. Is this common ? they were cherry shrimp. Verrrrrrry cute.

Last edited by acadialover; 01-02-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some Bettas are vicous killers.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #3 
Fishehgobloop

lol sometimes it's not so much they're vicious killers, as they see the shrimp as a treat. Especially if the shrimp are small. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. :(
[of course then you can have the other way around where the shrimp (if underfed) can also start to nom on your betta's fins]

It's a learning experience. Some bettas live great with tankmates that other bettas don't do so well with, and it's always different with every one you get. Don't feel too bad, it's happened to the best of us.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 
Viva

Cherry shrimp are small and easily stick out in contrast to green plants...if all 4 of your shrimp have disappeared they probably were eaten >_< It's possible they can get sucked up in an HOB filter as well, do you have one?

One of my bettas destroyed all my ghost shrimp within a week in a 10 gallon planted tank. I now have a new betta in the 10g planted who happily lives with 4 Amano shrimp. He completely ignores them as if they were part of an ornament or plant. It really depends on your betta. Now that he has the taste for shrimp it probably won't be a good idea to get any more :(

Last edited by Viva; 01-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have had Ghost shrimp drop dead after weeks. I would get a floating Breeder box and add Ghost shrimp. That way you can observe the interaction.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I second checking a hob filter, I found all 6 of mine in there once.

A pre filter sponge will save them
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I got 5 glow light tetras for my 10g (which I now know was a mistake anyways, not enough room- this was back when I actually trusted pet store employees -_-) and my Betta ate them all. I found two bodies and 3 skeletons :( But he is now housed with 3 Otos and a Mystery Snail and there is no problem. Maybe try a snail? They create A LOT of waste, though and I'm starting to do water changes twice a week since adding him to the Betta tank
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #8 
eatmice2010

Ya When i had setup my 10g community betta tank, right when i put my cherry shrimp in, my betta ate 2 outta 6 but after that he didnt mess with them again.
And they are also very good hiders, but mine also turned clear when i turned of my fish tank light.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9 
sainthogan

Oh, my female would have a heyday with cherry shrimp!! I wouldn't dare try to put something like that in her tank unless I actually intended for them to be food. She's quite the hunter. I have to give her extra food that sinks to the bottom of her tank, or she'll attack her plants (she also attacks them if I try to fast her). She's quite the piggy.
My male on the other hand might do well with cherry shrimp. He doesn't seem to hunt for food and only eats 3 pellets per meal. If I give him more than that, he swims away uninterested after 3, and it sinks to the bottom, then I have to scoop it out.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #10 
acadialover

Well, very interesting for sure. I'm gong to have to inquire with Old Fish Lady . I have a soil planted tank and it is one of the components she said you have to have.
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote