Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: has this thread been helpfull
yes 1 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #11 
Juditko

One other strategy for a healthier fish is see if you can call or go by the store to see what day they get their bettas. That way your fish won't be already set back from having sat there in the cold cup for a week. I think the fact that my fish was new there really helped us get through to the point of being able to be more proactive. Just an idea.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but there's some very helpful posts and threads here about acclimating your fish to the new tank once you get him home. FYI in case you need it.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #12 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

Talking

thank you Juditko i will try that. when i do get my tank set up how long is it suposted to sit before getting my betta. ps plan to set up my tank within the next few weeks and i will post some pics. thank you all for your help and if anyone has anymore info let me no.
ilovebettafishandsuzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #13 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

i got my heater and thermometer and i set up my tank. i am trying to post some pics now but i don't no how to. if you do let me no. thank you. ps. i just got my pics to upload. well as all ways if anyone has anymore info let me no. thank you all
Attached Images

Last edited by ilovebettafishandsuzys; 01-05-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: i got my pics to upload
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #14 
Juditko

Alright! You're on your way! Enjoy! I know it's so exciting to finally get it going.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #15 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
Alright! You're on your way! Enjoy! I know it's so exciting to finally get it going.
yes this is so exciting. now how long should i wate before adding a betta. and i have a lot of air bubbles on the sides and in my tank how do i get them off. if anyone can anwser my questions or if you have any more info let me no. thank you all so much
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #16 
Juditko

Let me let one of the veterans speak to that! I'm just a young fry lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #17 
Laki

The bubbles from just setting it up? Just swirl the water around. As long as the water has been conditioned, there is no harm in the bubbles.
When are you planning on adding your fish? Since you cannot do a fishless cycle without difficulty in that tank, you can add your fish whenever :)

eta- moss balls don't "do" anything. They are live algae, it's marimo moss actually. You can just plop it in your tank and turn it over every now and then to prevent it from browning. Some say it eats the nutrients that bad algae eat but I have seen that not work. So don't get one and hope it magically goes around eating up algae or something lol. They're fun to have though. And since it's alive, it will turn bad nitrites/ammonia in the water to benefit the tank through nitrates. (Please someone correct me if I got that backwards, I can never remember nitrates vs. nitrites) Also, marimo moss requires little care at all. The water temp it thrives in varies, warmer tropical water like 80F seems to be it's limit though. It does not require special light or Co2 supplements or fertilizers.

Last edited by Laki; 01-05-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #18 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

thank you so much i plan to buy my betta in the next week or so i will post pics when i get it