Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm so glad he's okay and he immediately flipped back into his tank. I was fully prepared to chuck the skewer across the room and catch him with my bare hands before he flipped onto the floor. But nope... Back into the water he went and acted like nothing happened at all, LOL.

Meanwhile, my heart is jumping out of my chest while I'm blankly staring at the water droplets on top of DaBaDees tank he left in the spot where he was laying, thinking "did that seriously just happen?" Then after I came out of that daze I yelled at my boyfriend across the room "DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!?" then I looked at him for the next 60 seconds to make sure I didn't see any strange behavior or stress stripes or pale coloring... Nothing. He's just swimming around like he was before I fed him... And then after I immediately posted here, ha.

Then I told my boyfriends little brother about it and he was like "you literally just went fishing with your own fish." True, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #22 
aemaki09

That's crazy!! Ive actually dropped one on the floor before too, I was terrified of ripping his fins when I scooped him back up so it took me a couple minutes to figure out how to do it, luckily bettas breathe air so they won't suffocate, their only danger is their skin drying out.
Thankfully he figured it out before you had to scoop him up.
And I think you should stick with the skewer since he's already become accustomed to it, you'll just have to get used to the idea he might latch onto it occasionally haha
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

Is it possible that he could get cold if he were out for too long then shocked when he went back into the water? It didn't happen, but the temperature of the tank and the room are more than 10 degrees different.

I was thinking about trying a shrimp but I don't think so anymore lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #24 
Phaydra

I use tweezers to feed Red. I've never had him latch on to them before but Red is pretty laid back. He's a CT that went blind in stages as well so I would link that to being hereditary after seeing a few post on here with similar details.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I feel Carter has bad vision. It takes him a while to locate food.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay, I'll try tweezers, lol. My skewer was working until this happened, haha.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Making vibrations where you feed may help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

I already do that. I tap the side of the tank and wriggle the skewer around in the water.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #29 
DoctorWhoLuver

It takes my blind betta a couple of tries to eat the pellet, but he always manages. I found that even if the pellet sinks, Tiersias would find it, probably through his sense of smell XD :) when I got him his eyes were completely hidden behind thick dragonscales.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #30 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, I've notices he finds some pellets that sink but not all. I think that is one reason that he spends so much time near the bottom in that corner... Because I feed him in that corner and most of the pellets sink in that area. It worries me how lethargic he can be though.

Today during the water change he was definitely checking out the gravel vacuum, lol. I left it sitting in the water for a second while I dumped the vase I siphon the water out into and when I came back he was face first into the tube checking it out, haha! It was cute.

I also fed him a FD bloodworm today. I don't feed them often but they are so much easier to feed to him than the pellets because they are long and its easier to get them directly in front of his mouth. He'll pretty much eat anything. I've never had a problem with him not eating any of the kinds of food I have besides when he first went blind and I didn't know, yet.

Tags
blind