Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #1 
LittleBlueFishlets

New plant -> Cloudy, "tea" colored water?

I added sprigs of anacharis as a floating plant to each of my three identical tanks yesterday. Today, I noticed that the water in ONE tank is a little cloudy and a slightly 'tea' colored. Any idea why?

Here is more info:
PLANTS:
- This was a bundled anacharis (metal wrap and rubber band) containing 6 sprigs. It was in a plants-only tank at the lfs, along with other plants. I did not see any snails. The water and other plants looked fine.
- Once home, I removed the metal wrap/rubber band, and soaked the plants in tap water for about 6 hours. I then added two sprigs into each of my three tanks, as a floating plant, making sure the roots were submerged.

TANKS:
- The three tanks are identical, and are lined up side-by-side on a table.
- Capacity: 3 gallons each
- Water temp: 79F (consistently)
- 100% water changes done Tuesday night on all tanks.
- Two 'sprigs' of anacharis added, as a floating plant, to each tank on Wednesday morning.
- The tanks are all near the same north-facing window. They do not receive direct sunlight.
- I do not have any additional light for them (yet).

The ONLY difference that I can see is that the sprigs in the other two tanks have slightly more developed roots. The sprigs in the cloudy/tea-colored tank have fewer roots.

Any ideas on what's causing this? What do I do about it? And most importantly - is there any danger to the fish in this tank?

Thanks!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #2 
fish monger

That's really odd. I can't think of why the water in one tank would be different than the other two, especially in such a short time. Is it possible that something else fell into the tank ? You might go ahead and do another water change in any event. If it happens again, I guess it would have to the plant but, it sure doesn't seem likely. Good luck.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #3 

Bunches of Anacharis I have seen offered at chain stores is often brown/nearly dead ,to green healthy (when they first arrive).
If brown decaying plant bundle was what you received,,this could be the problem.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 
emeraldmaster

Usually, it is because Tannins are being released into the water. Maybe one of your plants contain tannins? I don't know...
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 
Sundancex

Its leeching. Do a wc, check your levels, and wait.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

@fish monger - I checked the tank, but I don't see anything else going on. The only thing new is the anacharis. I'll do another WC.

@1077 - The sprigs in the other tanks have some developing roots, but the two in this tank don't. (They are green though.) I didn't notice any 'slimy' sections, but I'll check more carefully. Maybe I'll just pull these two sprigs and put them into a container on their own.

@emeraldmaster - The only live plants in the tanks are the new anacharis. Do they produce tannins?

@Sundancex - What would it be leaching? Tannins? Other stuff?

Thanks, everyone! I'll do a 100% WC today, and recheck the levels...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

If I pull the anacharis and put it into its own "isolation" container --> do I need to add any ferts? (Also, do I need to use dechlorinated water?)
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #8 
Sundancex

Sorry, I don't really know what it is leeching. I just read about something similar, so that is all I know. You can isolate, treat it like you would a "fish" with dechlorinated water. ;) I would dose it with Flourish.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote