Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
sandybottom
Reference Team

betta rhymes with feta and quetta.

why do people give me crap for correctly pronouncing betta correctly? everyone else says beta, like the greek letter. there are two t's in it. even the pet store guys do it. and they give me the weird look ( whats with that ?). you can even go to mirriam-webster dictionary online and click on the speaker.it will pronounce it correctly. i've had betta for 20 years and this seems to have really gotten bad over the last 10 or so. i never correct them, which has pushed me into this rant...........feel better now. a strange calm has come over me. lol!

Last edited by sandybottom; 01-03-2013 at 11:28 AM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2 
SolomonFinch

LOL I was in PetDumb the other day and heard someone say, "HAY JUST GO TO WALLLLMERT, the "beta" are cheaper there. Mine lasted almost 2 whole years!"
Again, I just had a "beta" disappear on my idiot self, but I agree with you.
Serious face palms abound if you really must listen to other people.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I speak as I hear. "Expresso" for instance, is really "espresso", however I grew up hearing "expresso". It's literally "word of mouth". I still say BETA xD But I've gotten myself to lower pronunciate that "e" in there.

Betta is betta (better)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

that's why i don't correct people.i would consider it rude.if people have noticed different people,using different pronunciations, you would think they would research it.especially lfs employees. but when they give me weird,indignant looks....well, i just don't care for it.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Exactly :3 I remember how I felt being bashed severely because of EXpresso. All because the snobs went to Italy and felt high and mighty enough to be rude jerks about it. That right there is why I won't correct, but I don't mind saying "did you know..." as a fact, not directed at anyone at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #6 
SolomonFinch

That's why I call it PetDumb. The manager had never even heard of a sorority... and claimed to have been with PetDumb for years.
She also said they only live a year typically anyway... ( i was ANGRY about the sick fish I had brought home...like dropsy, one's belly had exploded from an internal parasite, etc....within hours of my getting her home)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 
SolomonFinch

well, i am southern, it takes me an hour to order a beer in a restaurant.
so, i never correct anyone's speech. just silently berate it, like the hypocrite I am LOL
Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

O_O exploded from parasites....yuck. And yikes!

I refuse to go to particular stores anymore. Big Al's, though I gave them a good rating I feel their display should not hang over the counter where no one (I am 5'11") can reach three bettas on each row xD Plus I confuse them when buying about 8 at a time >.>

I will point out spelling of BETA/BETTA but that is it :3
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #9 
SolomonFinch

Yikes is right. I had taken very graphic photos, they made me vomit and cry.... but at the time I was so angry I wanted to bring that place DOWN. I considered it animal cruelty. Still do. It was the ONE female who had caught my eye and started the whole sorority biz with me. All sick fish. Piftiful, really.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
Yikes is right. I had taken very graphic photos, they made me vomit and cry.... but at the time I was so angry I wanted to bring that place DOWN. I considered it animal cruelty. Still do. It was the ONE female who had caught my eye and started the whole sorority biz with me. All sick fish. Piftiful, really.
Yay getting evidence against them is great. Some petshops just need a big slap to teh face with a wet fin to learn their lesson.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote