Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #1 
Naladari

Horrified, Not sure if fin rot or biting.

First off this is a first time beta, sorry if you have seen a huge amount of these.

I am not the owner of this fish, it actually belongs to my girlfriend. I'm losing sleep over this so I couldnt wait to post.

Housing
What size is your tank? I believe its a 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? pending
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Open top, not sure what this means.
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Generic beta fish food, blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 small pinch of beta fish food, or 2 blood worms

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Was weekly, she didnt do it for some time, longest was 3 weeks at maximum.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? was 80% weekly.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water condintioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No test yet. I know that the water has changed to spring water (not bottled) after visiting her parents.

Additional Information.

I noticed this acouple days ago, and I was like hey you really need to change your water. After the water was changed I noticed the tail of the fish looked like a clown tail. This was very scary to me because it was originally a moontail. I know that when she traveled she put the betta in a jar for safety. I am worried that this stressed the betta greatly.

I'm positive that it is finrot. If its biting its very severe. Just in case I decided to ask the experts. At this point I dont know how to treat it. If I should just have her use salts or go straight for the antibiotics.

Here is the before and after photo

Before:

After:
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #2 
jsgossamer

He doesn't look terribly severe at this point but with the lack of water changes, he will get worse. He needs 100% water changes MINIMUM twice a week in a 1 gallon tank, but I would probably do it everyday with a sick fish at this point. You can try adding salt, but if the water changes aren't stepped up, nothing will really help. A bigger tank with a heater would go a long way for this guy.

Last edited by jsgossamer; 01-04-2013 at 06:31 AM.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #3 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
He doesn't look terribly severe at this point but with the lack of water changes, he will get worse. He needs 100% water changes MINIMUM once a week in a 1 gallon tank, but I would probably do it twice a week at this point. You can try adding salt, but if the water changes aren't stepped up, nothing will really help. A bigger tank with a heater would go a long way for this guy.
She has a 10 gallon tank a filter and a heater. I told her a few days ago it might help to put him in the bigger tank. I do not know the status of this tank however, and it would most likely need to be cleaned very well.

Whats even worse is that she cleaned the tank as soon as I told her it needed it, but she never knew betta could get sick. She never got a net, and actually uses cups to clean her tank. She has the water pour from the tank slowly into the cup so he swims with the current into the cup then cleans the tank.

She never got a net cause she read somewhere that its easy to hurt him with a net, and it is very stressful to the fish.

So would you say a daily water change and 1tsb of e.salt per gallon would help him get better?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #4 
latriana465

Daily water changes is a must right now to keep the infection at bay. I would recommend using aquarium salt not Epsom salt. Epsom salt is really only used to help a betta if it's constipated. I used API Aquarium Salt, that you can get from Petsmart or Petco, for about 10 days for my betta with fin rot. It healed him up pretty well with all things considered. Also, I would really try to get him into that bigger 10gal tank with a heater. Heaters help keep them healthy and happier. When I used to have my last betta in a 1gal, I would always scoop her up the small cup she came with and set her aside on the counter while I cleaned her 1 gal. For me, this seemed to keep the stress level down from the current of pouring water in an out. I then would just let the small cup shes in to float in the water of her cleaned tank to get her used to the new temperature before adding her in. Maybe your girlfriend can try doing that. Any plastic ware container would work. I hope her betta heals up!
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You have to get his water changed at least twice a week. And feed him higher quality food like NLS. He also needs a heater. And, as treatment, give him aquarium salt, pre dissolved, at one teaspoon per gallon. I mainly see husbandry issues, fix those an you will be well on your way.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 
Naladari

Thanks guys, this helped tremendously!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #7 
Laki

What was said was all you need to know. Step up water changes, get a heater and when you start to see re-growth on the tail (it will come in clear at first) then you can move him to the 10g tank.
*trollin': latriana465 I want your dog.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #8 
callistra

I would treat for fin rot using aquarium salt as outlined here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332 If it doesn't work you'll need antibiotics but we'll go there if we need to later, or if it starts to get bad quick.

2 weekly change in the 1 gallon are needed - one 50% and one 100% with the 100% being a thorough rinsing of gravel and all dechor. Be sure to acclimate to avoid shock

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote