Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissien View Post
Of course that female bettas are flaring! Look on my two girls ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2O_lVMtYdY
I agree, they both look identical to placket males.

Edit:

See

both males

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 01-04-2013 at 12:49 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #12 
MadameDesu

Yeah, in the case of plakats it's more the body shape and size of the ventrals that give it away.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #13 
happypappy

I have four females in my 29-gal community tank. One of them definitely flares and she is the most aggressive. But after some settling in they are all doing very well!!!
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #14 
ArianaBettaGirl

I am going to say they look a lot like the males in the pictures...
ArianaBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #15 
LadyVictorian

What type was it labeled under? Fin type? It would be funny if you paid next to nothing for a plaket male xD At my petshop they are about $20 each for plaket males.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #16 
Myates

Original poster - girls flare and can be just as aggressive as males, some even build bubble nests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tissien View Post
You're both wrong, I'm sure I have girls ;) They're both have ovipositor and they are in one tank with male. I don't think so that 3 boys can be in one tank from almost half year and never fighting together :) But I admit this, their ovipositor is very hard to find, sometimes I have problem with this and I starting wonder did my girls start change their sex :P
Their flaring always finished like in the movie, they never fighting and running before Aimaru (male) :)
What you have are males, which are obvious by the length of the beards and ventrals and the dorsal fins - keep in mind bettas naturally do not fight to the death.. they fight until one swims off.
Young males, especially PK males (which you have), will have a fake ovi to "fool" other adult males as to not be attacked.
Another question is why do you have 2 "females" with a male in the same tank? It's only been a few months, but count your stars lucky and I would separate them soon... what size tank is it? They really should not be together.. stressful to the fish as they can't relax, will shorten their lives along with make them susceptible to outbreaks such as ich from the stress.. the whole video they are posturing, which shows they aren't comfortable or feel safe in their home.

Female fish, both non PK and PK... can see the difference between yours and an actual female betta:
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 01-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #17 
LadyVictorian

^
+1
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #18 
Option

So I have had the same problem with "females" in my sorority that end up being males...on multiple occasions. And in my experience the BEST WAY to discriminate who is male is to do the following:

1. Crank up the aquarium temperature up to 82F or so and wait for the males to get comfortable.
2. Once the temp is up to 80+ if it's a male they will start blowing bubble nests and courting the females he sees around him...by this point the true females will even start having breeding stripes once they see the male courting them.
3. At this point the male will also begin chasing and really attacking the females (though most of it is probably courting).
4. Obviously take male out by this point b/c it's unmistakable.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #19 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Yes females can definately flare, I have a female ct who flares just as much as my male ct lol gills go out and every thing. She also eats my finger when i stick it in the tank.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #20 
Silverfang

They can and do flare! Some will put boys to shame! I had a gorgeous almost MG female who was the meanest thing there was. Hence living on her own rather than the sorority. Males, females, me. She flared at it all. The minute in a half she was in the sorority she bit three girls on the body, not fins.

Anyways, not the best pic, but her in mid flare. And yes, she is a she. Clear egg spot. And always reacted to males when I let them see each other.

Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote