Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #21 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Turns out he's (she's?) just an occasional visitor. They "den" from place to place, so he (she?) just shows up once in a while to check for mice...and spend the night. I'm not sure I could find all the possible entries; they're such great climbers. Their rear ankles rotate 180* for fast, safe rappelling. They can "stem" up cracks and fissures (pressing against opposite walls simultaneously).

They're ancient mammals, going back to the Miocene over 20million years ago. Their ancestors probablv preyed on ours.

I could try to trap it with dogfood (if I had any). But I'd just as soon have it around rather than mice, rats, chipmunks and scorpions. Especially as Ringtails are not common around here.

Having my own "miner's cat" is kind of special.
Attached Images

Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #22 
Skyewillow

You could always supplement little treats here and there, to make sure he/she keeps coming back lol

And you're lucky to find one, I've never heard of them before. Thank you for sharing!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #23 
MSG

I forgot the ringtails can climb.

I kept thinking it’s a weasel type critter that’s land bound....

I’ve had some experience with squirrels before, & seen countless youtube videos of them performing all sort of acrobatic maneuvers, so I would imagine this ringtail would be equal if not more agile than a winged rodent.

Try to deal with it sooner than later, once they get comfortable or start creating nests in your residence you'll be having a weekly battle with them instead of a once a cold season.

Don't forget they carry ticks/mites and other nasties.

I get the occasional field vole that seeks shelter indoors once the temperature drops below 20 degrees, but I can easily catch them within a few hours with one of my live traps once I noticed their presence.

If you manage to catch it LIVE, I heard from the animal control people right before they release it back into the wild, they scare the daylights out of the thing, by screaming/rattling the cage, so once released, the critters are less likely to return.

Good luck keeping "Miss Musky" out, if you can't remove them, get more pictures.

Don't forget to contact your local town/state's animal control officer to see if they have any suggestions.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote