Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #1 
boomer

Beginner Seeking Help: Need Proper Water and Tank Care Advise

Hello, this is my first post and new to fish care and tank keeping. I have been reading these forums but I feel like I do not understand some things quite well.

I got my first betta (Butters) about 5 days ago. Here is what I have:
  • 2 gallon tank with lighting
  • Filter
  • Heater
  • 1 anubias plant
  • 1 marimo moss ball (bigger than a golf ball)

I guess my question relies more on the water changes part. Since I have the anubias, and moss ball, and since the tank is 2 gallons, is a 100% change still mandatory? So far (since I just started) I have done 1 50% water change. I also used gravel cleaner when I syphoned the water from the tank. I plan on doing the 50% every other day since my tank is only 2 gallons. Am I doing this more than I should be?

Lastly, the moss ball I bought does seem a little big. Can I cut it in half to make 2? I read on here somewhere that it is possible. If so, do I just simply cut it in half, and roll it afterwards?

Thanks in advance.
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #2 
boomer

Note: I did almost everything at the beginning wrong, which troubled me now.

I did not quarantine the plants, and I just put Butters in the tank after water temp was at 78.

He seems okay though, since i did this about 4 days ago, but not really sure :(
He is always swimming around back and fourth, and has started to do a bubble nest.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
Juditko

Hi I'm a newbie too so I won't try to answer all your questions. However from what I am reading you are off to a pretty good start, especially when it comes to tank size (you are already light years ahead of a quart bowl!) and heater. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure one of the big fish will be around to help soon...I'm just a small fry lol.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #4 
Sundancex

2 gallons is on the small side, but perfectly acceptable as long as you maintain it correctly. 100% wc are actually not a good idea, IMO. The reason being that every time you change the water you will be disrupting your anubias plant which isn't good for it. Your tank is really too small to cycle, but the plants will help with "filtering" the water. I can't really answer how often you should change your water as I have a heavily planted 8 gallon, but I would think 2x week 50% changes, or something like that would be sufficient. Oh, and don't forget to squeeze your moss ball every so often!
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #5 
boomer

Thank you Juditko and Sundancex.

Well for now I will then do about 2 50% water changes every week. As for my moss ball, I read that all you basically do is "rip" them to split them up. I am thinking of leaving mine as is for now, maybe later splitting it into 2 smaller ones. I will definitely be squeezing them out once a week as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #6 
Juditko

This is definitely a learning process. I'm enjoying it and I know far more than just a week ago. Keep reading and enjoying your fish!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote