Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1 
Gen2387

My first plant! Help please!

Hi everyone!
I've had betta tanks for a long time and I never ventured into plants because I've always been kind of bad with the. The only kind of plant I've had in my tanks are moss balls because they are incredibly easy to take care of. :)

Anyway, I went to the pet store to buy a new moss ball and a couple of decorations (boxing day sales are still going... yay!) AND I couldn't help myself but look at all the pretty plants. I asked the guy in the fih section (i know i know... not always the best sources, but that's why I'm here right now) and I asked him what was a plant that was really easy to take care of and didn't require a whole lot of sunlight. He told me to get an anubias. So I chose the one that looked the best and that was a little smaller and I bought it.

The guy told me to be careful because there might be snails hidden in it so I put it in a quarantine tank for the time being.

MY QUESTIONS:
1. Up to now I've rinsed the plant a couple of times and found 2 tiny snails. I haven't seen anymore snails for the past 2 days. How long should I leave it in quarantine?
2. For my moss ball I put them in untreated water for 4 days for their time in quarantine so it kills anything bad. Up to now, I've treated the water of the quaratine tank for the anubias. Should I not treat it?
3. When I bought the plant, at the base of it, the roots are wrapped in a kind of spongy-like material (that's how they were in the tanks over there). SHould I undo that?
4. I have gravel in the tank I want to put it in. How should I proceed?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #2 
WhiskeyHands

you're from montreal, where exactly in montreal?
and idk much about the questions you asked but i bought 2 live plants and i planted it with the sponge thingy and my plants are growing, i just put them beneath the gravel covering the roots
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 
Gen2387

Hi!
I'm actually near Montreal, on the south shore.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #4 
WhiskeyHands

Im on the West Island!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
aemaki09

You can treat anubias with un-treated tap water as well. No issue there and I would actually do it for another day or two before you add it to the tank.

If it were me I'd try to remove the spongy material if possible, if not then it should be fine to plant like that.

now for the tricky part, Only the roots of the anubias can be planted. This plant is actually supposed to be tied to driftwood or lava rock or some other decoration. BUT it is okay to plant as long as you only have the roots covered. The rhizome is the part that connects all the leaves together, that has got to be above the gravel able to see the light or else the plant will rot away.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think the sponge material might be whats holding the plant down. Marimo if you want you can add aquarium salt to quarintine.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 
Laki

Thanks aemaki09, I was worried about the sponge part and nobody knew it can be harmful. All my hygrophilia died because it had grown into a sponge for the store and the only way it could keep growing was if I took off the sponge, which dmaaged all the roots.
Your new anubias should be tied to something, though mine was fine for months just held down with the gravel (rhizome out). I tied it to a small weight yesterday. Mine grows a leaf every week and a half or so. I love my anubias.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I suggest tying it too driftwood.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I was worried about the sponge part and nobody knew it can be harmful. All my hygrophilia died because it had grown into a sponge for the store and the only way it could keep growing was if I took off the sponge, which dmaaged all the roots.
should i unroot mine and then remove the sponge and re plant it?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would just remove the sponge.