Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #31 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I want to do something with animals of pretty much any type... The more types, the better. I've thought about working for a zoo or for something like the ASPCA so that I could do something for abused animals but I'm not sure if I could handle that... The law part of it interests me the most because those officers get to bust, fine and jail people who abuse animals, and then a lot of the animals have a happy ending. I feel like this topic had taken a turn, haha.

I eventually do want to upgrade to a larger sorority but I won't right now because when I go to college I have no idea what I will do with my already 4 tanks (although one right now is just a back up). I've told my parents already that I refuse to go to a college that will not allow fish. I know that college students don't have as much time but most of them seem to find time for extracurricular activities and I'm not in sports or school activities. My animals are literally my happy place, my #1 hobby and my favorite thing to do in my free time and I find it hard to believe that I won't be able to find enough time once a week for water changes.
This certainly has taken a change I look for collages that will let me take the biggest fish tank.

So back to topic If I just put my sponge filter in it and let is run for a while and then put him in will that do?
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #32 
Xaltd1

Ayla, many urban colleges have housing in regular apartment houses owned by the college. No RA's-you can have as many tanks as you like! The only problem is the fish care while you are away on break.
My son left Vassar (only closely supervised on-campus dorms) for BU (all apartments, except for Freshmen). He got his post-grad (at USC), he and his classmates got together (on line) and rented a large house! They have 2 cats, 1 dog & a pool, too...
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #33 
AyalaCookiejar

You really don't have to let the filter run. I'd let the temp stablize, though. Running the filter without an ammonia source will do nothing but mix up the water, lol.

And I don't require a lot of space, just my fish do :p my only requirement is that I'm allowed to have them. I've visited a few colleges that had apartments but they weren't available to freshmen. They also didn't seem to know much about their own policies on fish 0.o I saw a ten gallon tank in a dorm we toured that had a pleco and like 3 goldfish *headdesk*
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can remove the filter lid. Then add Semi Aquatic plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #35 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
You can remove the filter lid. Then add Semi Aquatic plants.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by lid I just have a basic sponge filter, you know rubber stand, sponge, air tubes, bubbles. I'm a dummy, so you'll need to be more specific.

Are these semi aquatic plants?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Life-P...-1-ct/10403220

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sea-Life-P...tlyViewedItems

I'm sorry I'm being so slow with this I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #36 
repru04

I'm all for the sorority idea. Female bettas have alot of personality and are cute.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #37 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean like Peace Lilies from the lid. Lucky Bamboo and Pothos work. I am testing Philodrens.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #38 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by repru04 View Post
I'm all for the sorority idea. Female bettas have alot of personality and are cute.
I'm not sure I'm ready or have room for a sorority yet, But i do hope to have one someday.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #39 
repru04

That would be interesting to see how philodendrons work as an aquarium plant.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

I've heard that bamboo roots can grow through the sides of the tank 0_0 was I just imagining things when I read that? Haha.

There are some easy beginner plants you could try. I posted a thread a few days ago asking about plants because I literally knew NOTHING about them. If you want I could send you the link? It's very helpful if you don't know a thing about plants :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote