Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 
Kiyi

Am I feeding too much?

6 NLS Pellets daily, 3 in the morning, and 3 at night.

I just fed him for the night, but when I gave him the first pellet, a couple older pellets (they looked puffed up from being exposed to water, probably from this morning) flew out of his mouth. xD It looked quite funny, because he tried to pick them all back up again. Didn't give him anymore for tonight other than that one.

He's definetely been digesting food though, I'm finding poop in is tank everyday almost. He likes to leave them on leaves for as a present lol. He even left one on his zoo med leaf hammock.

Anyway, is this a sign of overfeeding? I've never read of a betta saving food in their mouth, but I'm not familiar with how fish in general digest food. I'll do a little research, just so I know. I hope this isn't a sign of a disease or anything.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I feed 3ish.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #3 
DragonFish

Are you sure what he spit out wasn't just pieces of the first pellet you fed him? I've never seen/heard of a betta 'storing' food....they either eat it or that don't usually. Also they don't swallow their food whole, they 'chew' or crush their food up so it doesn't actually sit inside them and take on water and expand...thats just a myth.
Plus, after its in his stomach..I highly doubt its going to come back up. xD

So I bet they were either pellets that had sat in the tank and taken on water and he ate them before you fed him...or they were pieces of the pellet you fed him that he had crushed and spit out. I've seen that happen a lot.

Anywho, that feeding schedule sounds fantastic. You're feeding a good quality pellet, so so long as hes healthy, active with no sign of bloating(a slight roundness after feeding is normal)or constipation, you're good. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #4 
Kiyi

I'm positive, like I said, I only fed him one, and two puffy up whole pellets, and the one I had just fed him (normal sized) fell out. Three in total.

So he probably spit out the pellets from yesterday after I walked away, then ate them just before the second feeding. Only thing is, he never eats the pellets that hit the gravel... or at least not when I'm there. xD

That's most likely what happened, because this morning I gave him his three, and after he ate them, he spit one out, and didn't go for it again. So I took it out.

(I've always adored that betta in your profile picture btw, so pretty!)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #5 
Butterfly

good quality pellet=feed less. low quality pellet=feed more.
My dog is about 40 lbs and he gets a cup of food a day. A very high quality, grain free food. Before, he ate about a cup and a half on a lower quality food(with grain). Same goes for my cat. Lower quality food has less nutrients and therefore, you need more for nutrition. All that corn is just empty carbs that is not needed. Your pet will produce more waste on a lower quality food. Same went for my fred pie. He was on hikari pellets for a few weeks and was making a LOT of waste for what I was feeding him. I switched him to omega, fed him half and he still looks the same and poops less. On hikari, he was getting 2x the amount and pooping about 3x as much.
Just like how you would have to eat less healthy foods vs processed corn processed corn and more processed corn. You should not just eat all carbs(which spikes your insulin levels. The more processed the corn is the worse it is basically...you don't want to become insulin resistant and not full). You need protein and actual sustenance and other stuff too in order to fill you up(less waste). Sorry that this lacks fluency--ive been up for quite some time xD

I would feed your betta two-four pellets a day and fast him once a week.
I feed fred a combo of live food and pellets with the occasional blood worm. When there's live food, he gets a lot. With pellets, he only gets about two a day.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 
Rosso1011

I disagree with the above the statement about feeding 2 to 4 pellets but I could be wrong. If I remember correctly, NLS pellets are smaller than the pellets I feed my bettas. I recommend a minimum of 4 pellets (two pellets 2x day) for smaller pellets. If you are feeding between 4 to 6 pellets a day, then you are not overfeeding.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

As long as he has digested his food by his next feeding (small belly). Otherwise feed less. Mine don't eat that much in the afternoon. . . . I don't feed pellets so my measurements are for frozen bloodworms. Currently I feed 8 frozen bloodworm cubes in the morning and only 4-5 cubes in the afternoon (Lots of bettas). I can't measure the live foods, I only approximate. But I often over feed live food because it won't foul up the water and would be gone by morning.

Spitting out food is sometimes a sign that it has had enough. Like others, I suggest you reduce feeding to 4-5/day
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Just out of curiosity....how long have you had your betta on NLS? The others pretty much covered things, but IME most bettas don't ever really have 'enough', at least not with that amount of pellets in a normal-sized healthy adult male betta. I've had picky fish, but usually when it comes to a food they like, they'll still eat however much I offer them.

However, when I first bring a fish home or introduce a new food....it can often take a few days to a week or so for them to get used to the food, and they often ignore food thats sunk or will spit out and go after the food a couple times before actually eating it. If you haven't had him for long/haven't been feeding him on NLS for very long this could just be the case.

If its been like this for a while however.....could just be how he is. I've never met a betta that didn't want to eat everything of at least something, be it pellets or bloodworms, but each betta is certainly an individual. xD Though a high quality food is important, the individual betta and how they eat and process foods is also important to keep in mind.

Regardless, I would suggest just taking an extra couple minutes during feeding times and feeding him on pellet at a time, making sure he eats one before you feed another. You could experiment with different amounts per feeding, just watch his belly and keep an eye on how long it takes for him to process and poo if you can, but I wouldn't feed any less then 4 or any more then 8-9 per day(spread out between 2, or 3 if you have the time, feedings per day of course)for a normal sized betta.

Also, thank you very much! :) He was a very interesting Petco find, one of my more unique boys. xD
Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #9 
Kiyi

I brought him home on December 28th, and he's been eating LFS since January 1st. He didn't eat at all before then, and he only ate two pellets on the 1st. After that, he ate very well, 6 pellets a day, for those three days at least. Then, yesterday is when the whole spit out event happened.

I do feed a pellet at a time, and always wait until it looks like he's done before giving him the next. :3 I managed to get a ruler up to him, and he looks to be about 1.5 inches long, not including his tail. When I was at the store, all the others looked bigger than mine, but it could have been my imagination, since I only had eyes for him. xD
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Without tail, that sounds about a decent normal adult size. :)

Well it sounds like you're doing everything right, and if he has been eating for a couple days without any issues it was probably just a fluke....it happens. I'd say just keep doing what you're doing then. After a little while longer he'll adjust more to your feeding schedule and you probably won't see that happen again. ;)