Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #11 
Silverfang

He may have done some nipping, or he may just have snagged his fins on his decor. He looks like both my HMs. Their fins regrow to a certain point then they destroy them again. I am not certain if it is the colouration of his fins, or if there is any actual rot.

AQ salt is the only thing I could suggest to treat him with. It looks like you've got a good schedule for WC's. Aside from perhaps bumping up the amount you change every week, I'm not sure what else to say. Just remember if you do go the aq salt route you want to make sure not to use it for more than 10 days. And might want to float him in a smaller container, or a spare QT tank for daily water changes. I have no idea if AQ salt will affect the ottos.

As for the lethargy and not eating, I'm not sure. The only thing I could suggest is soaking his food in some garlic juice and see if that will stimulate his appetite. When you thaw a few worms or brine shrimp just add a bit to the water.

Conservative dosing for AQ salt is 1 tsp/gal. Pre-mix it. You can go up to 3 tsp/gal, but it's recommended you do so slowly, upgrading the concentration every 12 hours.

Stress coat may also help. And our resident guru swears by mixing up IAL (indian almond leaf) or crushed dried oak leaves. Tannin water is supposed to help them. I know my girls seem to enjoy the darker water.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add IAL too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #13 
LittleBlueFishlets

Disclaimer: I am not a fish expert!

If it's a torn fin due to swimming through the rock -> Based on my experience with torn fins from tail-biting, I'd suggest:
a) Frequent water changes (looks like your water parameters are good),
b) Using a conditioner that helps promote slime coat, such as API Stress Coat.

If you want to be a little more aggressive with treating, you could try:
a) Adding aquarium salt. If you do this though, don't use for more than 7-10 days. I've seen recommended dosages of 1-3 TEASPOONS of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Acclimate him slowly! Also, start with the lower (1 tsp) dosage.
b) Adding either IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) or oak leaves. These contain tannins and natural substances that can help promote healing.

Personally, I'm treating my tailbiter's torn fins with just frequent water changes, API Stress Coat, and several oak leaves. The oak or IAL will tint the water (like weak tea). This is OK.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Dont add your aquarium salt if the Otos are in there. If I remeber right there scaless fish and cannot tolerate adding salt.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #15 
SQUIRT1216

Ok, thank you. I dont think it's tail bitting unless he just adopted the habit recently. I am currently QT him in a 4 gallons container that I bought from walmart since buying another tank is not necessary for a temporary home. I did add some extra silk plant i have to make it more homy. Yes, there is also a heater also (I bought 4 extra one since they were on sale). It's been 3 days and he refuse to eat. He just runaway. I fed him pellets, no luck, then blood worm, didnt touch either, then brineshrimp, still no. Idk, even if he eat just a little bit would make me feel better... but he doesn't
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Keep am eye on him.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

Well gee. You got 3 replies in two minutes.

I'm looking at the pictures again, too. Could you explain them to me a little more?
Photo 1) He's stunning!
Photo 2) Are his fins clamped and/or are there U-shaped chunks taken out of them?
Photo 3) Do his fins have U-shaped chunks missing with a single large tear? Or, I'm thinking I'm just seeing the division between his caudal and anal fin?

My HM who tailbites takes U-shaped chunks out of his tail. In the process, he's also created some larger rips. So if your guy is biting his tail, it may not be the rock that caused the damage. (Or, it may be the rock did the initial damage, and it bothered him so he started biting at it....)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #18 
SQUIRT1216

And the black spots are just his coloring (hopefully it's not hidden)

Another pic of him healthyName:  IMG_9328.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  29.7 KB
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #19 
SQUIRT1216

Give me a sec, i'll take another pic of him being sick
Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

He is a Chocolate. Like my Avitar Carter.