Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #21 
SQUIRT1216

I'm not sure if that is a missing piece or just his tail got ripped and they just clump together, make it look stretch out like a missing piece. Even when he flares, the caudal fin still look like that a clumped u shape
I swear, Wednesday night i check (i check all the tanks i have everynight to see if heaters were on) he were completely healthy. Thursday I woke up late for work so i didn't have time to check, then before i went to sleep, i fed him, he didn't surface for a while then later, i found him at the bottom. fins were like that

Name:  IMG_9423.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  21.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9422.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  23.2 KB
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #22 
Silverfang

no, he's a MG, like both my boys. Love them <3 Chocolates are similar pattern, but darker and brown
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRT1216 View Post
And the black spots are just his coloring (hopefully it's not hidden)

Another pic of him healthy
Oh, he's beautiful!

And now, I'm seeing the other pics. Poor little guy!

IDK.... I'm hoping there's nothing else going on besides a shredded fin. But based on these pics, I think you need to hear from people with more fish-expertise than I have...

Could you answer a few questions and/or verify this information, though?
a) His body is blue, right? (In the initial pic, he doesn't look blue. But the recent ones show a beautiful, vivid blue body coloration.)
b) Wednesday - he was fine.
c) Thursday evening - his fins were clamped, and he was laying at the bottom, lethargic.
d) When was the last time he ate? On Wednesday?
e) Can you identify if there is a specific ripped area of his caudal fin? Or is there just general clamping?
f) Is there any sign of bloating, or distention?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-04-2013 at 10:46 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ooh. Sad not a fellow Chocolate.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #25 
SQUIRT1216

Yes, that's why i love this little guy so much.
This is the small gaps in the rock i was talking about

This is an old pic when he was healthy
Name:  737688_10151317791819154_1526831203_o.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  IMG_9428.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.0 KB

His name is Mufasa if it is not obvious haha
Old 01-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add more decorations. Water Onions are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Oh, he's beautiful!

And now, I'm seeing the other pics. Poor little guy!

IDK.... I'm hoping there's nothing else going on besides a shredded fin. But based on these pics, I think you need to hear from people with more fish-expertise than I have...

Could you answer a few questions and/or verify this information, though?
a) His body is blue, right? (In the initial pic, he doesn't look blue. But the recent ones show a beautiful, vivid blue body coloration.)
b) Wednesday - he was fine.
c) Thursday evening - his fins were clamped, and he was laying at the bottom, lethargic.
d) When was the last time he ate? On Wednesday?
e) Can you identify if there is a specific ripped area of his caudal fin? Or is there just general clamping?
f) Is there any sign of bloating, or distention?
Another question, which actually is pretty important....

Do you see ANY discoloration on his fins or body? Mostly, this could be gray or silver-colored discoloration or patches. But they could just be darker areas.... Any color "different" on his body or fins than usual?

And does his condition appear to be 'holding steady' or 'rapidly declining?'
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #28 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Another question, which actually is pretty important....

Do you see ANY discoloration on his fins or body? Mostly, this could be gray or silver-colored discoloration or patches. But they could just be darker areas.... Any color "different" on his body or fins than usual?

And does his condition appear to be 'holding steady' or 'rapidly declining?'
Hmm, maybe his tail changed color a little bit if at all. The container is not a clear one so it is difficult to tell. The problem doesn't really change. Not improving or worsening. What could have been the problem may i ask? The biggest fear i have right now is he not eating
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #29 
TheCheese909

Well it looks absolutely nothing like tail biting, i'm guessing he did get stuck on something, somewhere.

Bettas can go quite some time without eating, they can live a month without food and survive. He's probably upset right now which is why he isn't eating. I wouldn't try too hard to make him eat, give him a few days without offering food then try again.

The main thing is we want to make sure he doesn't get some kind of infection because of his ripped fins, like Silver and im sure acouple other members mentioned, aqs, warm clean water and Stress Coat+ by API are what you want. Also if you have him in a hospital tank of some sort try and add in a soft silk plant, just for cover so he doesn't get any added stress from being in the open.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 PM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #30 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRT1216 View Post
Hmm, maybe his tail changed color a little bit if at all. The container is not a clear one so it is difficult to tell. The problem doesn't really change. Not improving or worsening. What could have been the problem may i ask? The biggest fear i have right now is he not eating
OK, not improving or worsening is actually a good thing, based on what occurred to me when I saw his blue color and the more recent photos....

There appears to be a virulent strain of Mycobacteria that affects blues, in particular. BUT the progression is VERY rapid. So 'holding steady' would likely indicate a different issue.... Also, Myco isn't treatable. By the time the gray discoloration occurs, internal organ damage has already occurred.

If you want to read more:
- Important: Watch for these Diseases: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
- The Mycobacteria diagnosis appears around page 61 - See Coppermoon's posts: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086&page=61

If the only issue right now is that he's not eating, that's OK. They can go quite awhile without eating.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-04-2013 at 11:17 PM.