Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 
ArianaBettaGirl

Exclamation Please Help! Sick Betta!

So I have this Female Betta, Her name is Ariana, she has become overweight, she was always attacked by my other female who passed away so after she ate she would go straight to the bottom and barely move, I was sad but happy for this little girl. I moved her into her own 10 gallon with a corydora cat fish, and she is a lot more active but still has the bloating issue, Anything I can do?
Attached Images

ArianaBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bloating. Also Cories need cories are schooling fish. And only Pygmies can live in a 10G.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #3 
ArianaBettaGirl

I am in the process of filling my tank and what can I do to help her not be bloated?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Fast her for three days an then give he 1/4 of a cooked frozen pea that's broken up. Keep her water very clean.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Her sorry.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Diet might be a problem too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 
callistra

What are you feeding and how much daily? She needs one fast day a week too.

I do not suggest a pea. Some people do but it's really hard on their digestive system. To feed this you must use frozen or fresh never canned. You must nuke in the microwave for 10 seconds in just a touch of dechlorinated (tank water is fine). This usually deshells the pea for you but if it doesn't take the shell off. You will see 2 halves inside. Feed half a half or 1/4.. again I wouldn't do this.

At this point I would fast a few days and see if it goes down. If it does not go down I would treat in qt with epsom salt at 1/2 tsp per gallon predissolved and added slowly over and hour as this will cause a decrease in ph to some degree. Needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate per the ingredients label - no perfumes, dyes or additives of any kind. She should poop shortly after - within a day. Leave her in this for a week and also until the bloat goes away. If no change after a week report back. Also report back on what her poop looks like.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #8 
ArianaBettaGirl

I think I will try the Epsom salt before the pea, I started fasting her today, she pooped today it looks as if it is like a red clay color, is this normal, this is my first time having Betta's the correct way, so I am a learner! :)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #9 
ArianaBettaGirl

Oh and for food, I am switching it this weekend because after reading all of this I think I will be getting pellets, because it is easier to control how much you feed them, right now she is eating Tetra Min Tropical Flakes, and I try not to give her too much now, I used to way overfeed her, I didn't realize how unhealthy it was for my poor gal.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 AM   #10 
callistra

Poop sounds normal. She sounds like she's just constipated. Epsoms for a week or so should clear it totally up. Epsoms are safe to use for a long time, so long as you acclimate.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote