Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Help me with my guppies!

So my sister decided that she didnt want to have guppies in her community tank anymore, so she put the 2 she had left into my sorority tank today.

They are both female, and look REALLY gravid, so I moved them both into the same breeder net with a bunch of extra java moss, duck weed, and some anarchis.
Does this sound like a good set up for them till they deliver?

Will they be okay in the sorority tank? Or do I need to open up another tank for them?
Also, I know they are schooling species, but I really dont want to buy anymore of them, so, would it be okay if I just waited till the babies they have are juvenile and add them to whatever tank these girls will be in at that time? Or should I add some more to it right away?

Does anybody know what type they are?

Last question:: Can anybody tell how long I have before they deliver? The pictures arent the clearest, but they are both definitely box shaped, but they dont look as big as some of the females I looked up online.

Thanks!! -- I only have experience with Molly's, I have done about an hours worth of research so far on guppies so I know some basic care requirements, but the questions I have are something that I can't really find online.

aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks like they have a while. Breeders are a bad idea stress causes them to abort the pregency. I use a 20G with good plan cover. I have special guppies they leave fry alone. The top looks recent. The bottom is not as gravid.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Are you sure? They look really big in real life. A lot bigger than any of the guppies i've seen in stores, but still smaller than the biggest I see online.
The only other tank I have available right now is a 2.5 with no water movement so I figured putting them in a breeder net would be better than having them out in the open with all my sorority girls.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The bottom one looks less gravid. From fertilization to birth is about a month. I would setup a larger tank. Add plenty plants.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Oh, I'm definitely going to buy another tank, but I wont have time to have it cycled before they deliver. I might just put them back in my sisters tank and let her deal with them.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ten Gallons is the miniumum for Guppies. If you raise the fry to adulthood you can sell them. I have a females whos super gravid.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Yeah I was planning on maybe another 15g, but I gotta get to the store and figure that out, and cycle it.
I'd probably keep this round of fry just so I can have a proper school, and whenever I have anymore I'll call up the LFS and see if they need any. -- IF i dont give them back to my sister --
They are supposed to be fancies, but she didnt know what kind. I am interested to see how the fry will look.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add guppies to your Colony. Genetic Diversity. See if your sister will hold on to the adults for you. Amazon Sword is great. I mean as many plants as possible. I would get that planted tank substrate. Guppies withoutnthe presence of males can give birth multiple times. guppies can live in saltwater or brackish.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

those ladies both look like blondes to me. NORMAL gestation is a month, but they can hold out to about 45 days, so don't worry if they're not dropping when you think they should.

we raised ours in a 10 for a while, before we upgraded them to a 30 gal bowfront. Guppies can be ridiculously friendly, ours will nibble on our hands if we have to stick them into the tank, and will sit and watch us as we're on the big computer. (they're really nosy!!)

It is true that one mating can produce more than one "litter" of babies (Platies and Mollies can do this too, if I remember correctly), so you don't have to keep re-breeding them to keep getting drops for a while.

They look fairly healthy, and I know some bettas like to eat the fry, if you find yourself overwhelmed and the LFS won't take them all.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Well one of them is dropping fry as I am typing. I've seen 8 so far.
Think it's the yellow that is dropping even though I think I see a tail hanging out of the orange.
So exciting! I used to have Molly's before my betta obsession took full force, but I never saw fry from them, they'd always birth at night and they'd be eaten by the morning.