Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #1 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

A few questions.

1)Do I need a filter in my 55 gallon sorority tank (17 bettas live there) ? I have 2 filters a nexx canister filter and a Marineland penguin 350 but I noticed that they are too strong and the bettas seem to have a hard times swimming. I already tried using just one but they both seem to be to much.
2) would not having a filter affect my heater by not circulating the water?
3)would not having a filter would increase my water changes? Now I am doing 45% weekly.
4) would not having a filter change water quality and would my bettas do okay without a filter?
5) if I decide to remove the filter what are some good floating plants that are easy to take care?

If there is any thoughts you want to share please do so.

Thanks in advance.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
1)Do I need a filter in my 55 gallon sorority tank (17 bettas live there) ? I have 2 filters a nexx canister filter and a Marineland penguin 350 but I noticed that they are too strong and the bettas seem to have a hard times swimming. I already tried using just one but they both seem to be to much.
3)would not having a filter would increase my water changes? Now I am doing 45% weekly.
4) would not having a filter change water quality and would my bettas do okay without a filter?
5) if I decide to remove the filter what are some good floating plants that are easy to take care?

If there is any thoughts you want to share please do so.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend so, unless they are in a NPT tank (natural planted). If the current and intake is too strong, I recommend a sponge filter. They are both inexpensive and effective and Betta love them.

There is a chance it could, but it would also mean your tank was not getting cycled and would get dirtier etc faster.

It would. It would also mean the water got dirtier faster and cause the water levels to fluctuate.

I would recommend you to have one. It is almost a necessity. Not having one would mean your tank would get dirtier faster, etc, and it would make your water levels get higher faster (ammonia etc) and not having one means your tank will not cycle properly if not at all.

I'm not sure about that one, sorry.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

You are amazing. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

It's alright =) I hope I helped. Sponge filters are very good and you only need a bubbler to run them.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #5 
aemaki09

1. You should definitely have a filter unless you are going to do an NPT. I would suggest switching from canister over to something adjustable like an aquaclear, that way you still have circulation for your heat.
2. yes. I have that issue in my 10 gallon so I can only imagine how bad it'd be in a 55. I imagine the only way to fix that if you decide to go without is multiple smaller sized heaters.
3. you wont have any bb living in your filter, so you will have to test constantly and any time you see the ammonia climb over .25 you will have to do a water change, basically its going to be exactly how you cycled your tank, only your going to be doing it forever like that without a filter.
4.Your water is going to get dirty faster since you dont have the BB in there. The betta's would be perfectly fine without it, but you would be putting a lot more time and energy into water changes than you would be spending time enjoying your tank.
5. Good floating plants would be water lettuce, amazon frogbit, duckweed, anarchis, water sprite, wisteria....you could also get some marimo moss balls to help with ammonia.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Great advice, thanks. I might remove the nexx filter and baffle the penguin 350.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 
aemaki09

No problem :) Goodluck with it!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote