Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #11 
Shepaski

ingredients are not mentioned on the bottle. most meds i find come like this.
i'll have to search the other shops around my area to see if they actually carry anything that lists ingredients or any of the brands you guy mention once i get my paycheck.

Last edited by Shepaski; 01-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #12 
SharkyTheBetta

How is your your fish doing today? I was also looking about the ingredients of the med you are using, but I couldn't find anything. Fish meds can be not only expensive, but also hard to find in some countries. I also had this problem, my fish were ill and I couldn't have enough time to buy the meds online, so being desperate I simply went to drugstore (for people) and I ask for one tab of med, telling them I needed for my fish tank. I didn't have prescription, but they were very nice and gave me. And it was a lot more cheaper too. But not all meds can be found this way. For example, I was looking to buy Kanaplex (Kanamycin). First, I went to a lot of pet stores but it wasn't available anywhere, then I when to a drugstore for people where tabs were not available either, so in the end I went to a drugstore for animals were I found it. Anyway, you have to be very careful with the dosage this way and calculate it exactly for the amount of water that you have in your tank. I was calculating it twice or even more in order to be 100% sure it was right dosage.

I think that one of the biggest problem that people have when their fish become ill is the fact that they are not prepared. So it would be very good to have at home a few most useful meds (1 tab of each is enough) for this kind of unpredictable and sad events. It will save you a lot of time.

Don't forget about the water changes. For a 2.5 liters QT you need frequent water changes. Callistra explained very well about how to do them.

Did your fish poop in the end? If yes, how did it look like?

I didn't suggested Maracyn (Erytromycin) which is good on some gram-positive bacteria but Maracyn II (Minocycline). Anyway, there are many different approaches on dropsy, some of them suggest to use Kanaplex, while some others suggest Maracyn II, I think they are both right in some ways. Whether the med used will be successful for all cases will depend on the cause, not all cases are bacterial.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #13 
Shepaski

my friend (whos fostering her at the moment) just updated me. at the moment she seems to be acting normally, water just changed today via Callistra's instructions, the the fish seems responsive. she's just ignoring the food my friend gives.

her poop is brown.

i'm heading over later to re med and add Epson salt which i purchased yesterday
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #14 
Shepaski

hi guys.

my fish is really not eating D:

she's not bloated any more but the scales are still raised and we found she's got a wound on the side of her body that bleeds every few days or so.

i'm not sure what else to do anymore ):
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #15 
callistra

I'm sorry you can't find better meds :( It would appear what you are treating with is not working.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #16 
Shepaski

so the fact that she;s not really eating any more means its not really gonna work is it.

there are days she suddenly perks up all of a sudden. like today my friend just told me she's a bit more active and is darting around occasionally.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #17 
callistra

Pine coning is a sign that his organs are shutting down. The open wounds are just a sign of how vast the infection is. If you can't find some real meds you can't treat him.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #18 
Shepaski

dropping an update.

My fish seems to be doing...well :D
her scales are no longer raised and her fosterer tells me the food they give her disappears from the bowl, so we suspect she's actually eating. Her wound also seems to be closing up.

Would it be advisable to continue using a bit epson salt and a few drops of what evers in that bottle of medication for a few more days to be sure she'll recover?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #19 
callistra

That's great!

How long has your fish been symptom free? I always treat a week past clear up in cases of dropsy. You might even go an extra two weeks on the epsoms, just stop meds a week past.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #20 
chardzard

yes keep useing the epsion salt for 1 more week n dont let any uneaten food stay in her tank ur lucky the wound u saw on here side is she full with eggs if so when she get better try n get her spawn or put her on a low protien dait
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote