Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
Travito

Temperature fluctuation?

Hey,

I have my betta in a 5 gal, using the elite 25w and it's working pretty well, however I'm gone during a good portion of the day, so all my maintenance is in the morning and evening. I have been keeping the temperature at 80F pretty steadily, but I don't like keeping the heater on all day for fear of the tank getting too hot, so I usually make sure it's at 80F before I leave and then when I come it's dropped a degree or two, then I turn it back on. This morning the temp was 81F... Is temperature fluctuation of a couple degrees okay? Will it stress out hte fish too much? Is there a better way to make sure the temperature stays constant 80F? I know some people on this forum are familiar with this heater, and I just started using it a few days ago, so maybe someone with experience with this heater can help me out. Thanks in advance guys :)
Travito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #2 
Myates

Is that one adjustable? I use the Hagen Elites from 25w up into the 150w versions.. I know my 25w are adjustable (they are the "mini" versions). If they are adjustable then I would just lower it down to 78 and leave it at that..

Otherwise to answer - small fluctuations are fine, as long as it's within a degree or two and not sudden. But a couple degrees over a period of a day won't do him any harm.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Isn't the Elite heater adjustable? If it is, you can keep it on for the whole time.. They won't really get stressed if the fluctuation is like 1-2 degrees + or -. Do you clean the tank everyday?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
Travito

Yea it's adjustable. Maybe I misunderstand how it works....if I keep it on the whole the time won't the temperature just keep increasing? The box said turn it off when the desired temperature is reached. How do you guys maintain a steady temp?

No, I don't clean the tank everyday. I just set it up a couple days ago, and it's pretty heavily planted.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Hm... The way adjustable heaters work is that it turns itself off once the desired temperature is reached. That's how my heater works. And whenever the temp goes below the desired, it turns itself on. Oh, and okay. It's just that you said "...so all my maintenance is in the morning and evening." I was just checking.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6 
Travito

I think it does turn itself off, I guess I haven't fully understood how it works. I just have turned it on and then found it off. I don't think it turns itself on though. I'll keep working with it and find a system that works. Thanks for your concern!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #7 
callistra

No this fluctuation is not okay. A good heater will turn itself off and self regulate if it's working properly. If yours is not doing this it's defective and you need a new one.

I like 50w Aqueon Pro (the black kind not glass normal line which is subpar), Jager, and Marineland Visitherm.

Also run a test for 24 hours on a new heater with a glass in tank thermometer to make sure it will reach and hold steady an appropriate test - no fish in test container. Always use an in tank thermometer with any heater.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #8 
Myates

He turns his heater off, which is what is making the temp fluctuate, Callistra :) He was asking if it's okay to turn it on and off and if the fluctuation from doing that will cause trouble.

OP - unsure why it says to turn it off at the desired temp (guess that can go into the category where food containers say to feed as much as they can eat in 3 mins.. sigh). The heater will turn on and off, as stated above by Lebron - A degree one way or another for a time isn't uncommon nor unhealthy when using heaters.
I just set the temp I want, place in the heater and check the temp daily, but otherwise leave it alone.
Yours may or may not show a thermostat, so it's a guessing game until you get it just right (as you have done). Temps in the low 80s are just fine for the fish.

I use the 25w, 50w, 100w and 150w from this brand and have had no issues with them at all - they turn on when needed, turn off when needed, keeps within a degree of what it is set (95% of the time they are spot on, but can raise depending upon room temp).. I trust this brand more than any other right now - use them in my breeding tanks where temp is very very important.
I use them in tanks ranging from 1g, 1.75g, 6g, 10g, 20g, 30g, and large shallow tubs with water to hold my 32oz cups, .25 and .50g keepers for breeders/juvies.. multiples of each size, and not an issue.

So I would trust your heater to work properly.. just keep an eye on it, may have to turn it down a smidge come summer, etc. But otherwise, it's fine to be kept on 24/7.

On a side note, I do agree with Callistra about an in the water thermometer - I have noticed temp differences by 4 degrees between in the water thermometers and the sticky ones that go on the outside..
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 
callistra

If the box instructions actually say the user must turn it off when desired temperature is reached it's not a kind that will self regulate and they should get one that will. Self regulating heater shouldn't have instructions for manual turn off like that.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #10 
Myates

I agree, why I don't understand, as I have the same brand/watts and mine are great at regulating and turning off when needed. Wonder if OP has an older model? Dunno.. but they honestly do regulate very good, so unsure what is going on.